Can’t format USB mass storage drive? How to format USB thumb drive from FAT32 to NTFS file system and what are the benefits? Read on if you want to know how to format your USB Flash Memory, there are two simple ways of performing the formatting task, before we proceed with the tutorial, let’s have a look at the benefits of having NTFS over FAT32:
- Allows single file sizes larger than 2 GB (FAT32 doesn’t )
- NTFS file system lets you to add allow and deny permissions on individual files and folders for specific Windows users.
- Encrypting of files is possible.
- Better file compression than FAT32 therefore save space on your USB drive.
- Windows older than 2000 cannot read NTFS file systems, nor can most Linux systems.
- Slower reading and writing if ‘file indexing service’ is not enabled.
How to Format USB Flash Drive to NTFS
- Right click on ‘My Computer’, go to ‘Properties’
- Select the ‘Hardware’ tab, click on the ‘Device Manager’ button
- Device manager will open up. Expand Disk Drives. Right Click the USB drive and select ‘Properties’.
- Go to policies tab and select Optimize for performance and hit ‘Ok’
- When you’re done, go to ‘My Computer’, right click the USB thumb drive and select ‘Format’
- Choose the ‘NTFS’ file system and hit ‘OK’
Is it too troublesome? Why don’t you try the HP USB Disk Storage format tool as described below?
How to Create a DOS Startup Disk
Format USB Flash Drive to NTFS files system? HP USB disk storage format tool is a simple utility that formats your flash drive with your choice of FAT, FAT32, or NTFS partition types. This simple utility allows the creation of a FAT32 volume larger than 32 GB. Download HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool free utility via PCWorld.