Can’t format USB mass storage drive? How to format USB thumb drive from FAT32 to NTFS file system and what are the benefits? Read on if you want to know how to format your USB Flash Memory, there are two simple ways of performing the formatting task, before we proceed with the tutorial, let’s have a look at the benefits of having NTFS over FAT32.
- Allows single file sizes larger than 2 GB (FAT32 doesn’t )
- NTFS file system lets you to add allow and deny permissions on individual files and folders for specific Windows users.
- Encrypting of files is possible.
- Better file compression than FAT32 therefore save space on your USB drive.
- Windows 2000 and older cannot read NTFS file systems, nor can most Linux systems.
- Slower reading and writing if ‘file indexing service’ is not enabled.
How to Format USB Flash Drive or Hard Disk to NTFS
Right click on the USB flash drive, select ‘Format’.
Choose ‘NTFS’ from the list and then click ‘Start’ to format.