How to disable your notebook or laptop’s touchpad for Microsoft Windows XP, Vista and 7? That annoying touchpad is usually supplied by Synaptics Pointing Device, it may vary from one manufacturer to another. Sony uses Alps Pointing device, which is a different hardware. Since there is no universal controller from Microsoft, here as some tutorials.
Related Article / Part 2 » How to Disable Touchpad Mouse on Sony Vaio Laptop for Windows 7
Method 1 – Disable Synaptics Pointing Device
If your laptop uses the Synaptics Pointing Device, go to the notification area, double click or right click (to disable) on the icon and browse the touchpad options and disable it from there.
Method 2 – Disable via Device Manager
As shown in the ‘Device Manager’ list, click on the ‘Mouse and other pointing devices’ list and disable the Touchpad driver. If the disable option is not available, maybe you can uninstall it, but it is best not to because you will be prompted to install new hardware every time you boot up Windows.
Method 3 – Manufacturer Software / Hardware
It is good idea to disable the Touchpad via the software installed by the manufacturer, since Lenovo, Dell, HP, Acer, Toshiba, Asus, Samsung, Fujitsu, Sony and more uses their own in-house software, why not visit their support site for answers? Since I am using a Sony VAIO, you might want to check out this tutorial – Disable Touchpad on Sony Vaio Laptop for Windows 7
As shown in the video above, some manufacturer such as HP includes a touch on/off button. Some manufacturer such as Asus uses a combo of Fn + F1 to F12, it really depends on the brand and make of the laptop.
Method 4 – Third Party Software
3 of my favorite free software, it works on Microsoft Windows 32 or 64 bits. Software is tested and compatible with Windows XP/Vista/7
- Touchpad Blocker – This freeware allows permanent or temporary disable of touchpad
- Touchfreeze – A free utility for Microsoft Windows to temporary disable touchpad automatically while you are typing text, this software doesn’t permanently disable it.
- Touchpad Pal – Yet another free software, this tiny app will automatically disable touchpad when you are typing text, just like TouchFreeze
You might find these 3rd party software useful if you are running bootcamp on your macbook running Microsoft Windows 7.
Disable Touchpad for Ubuntu Linux
For those using Linux Ubuntu operating system, you can get TouchFreeze for Ubuntu at Softpedia.
Disable Trackpad for Macbook
It is somewhat easier on the Mac, You have to change it in the Universal Access.
- Step 1- System Preference > Universal Access > Mouse & Trackpad
- Step 2- Click Trackpad Options
- Step 3- Check “Ignore built-in trackpad when mouse or wireless trackpad is present”.
- Step 4- Click Done