Unable to boot into Windows XP or Vista due to virus? Trojan? Sometimes we find ourselves in deep trouble when our system refused to boot up, more often than not, this is due to viral infection and how do we go about cleaning the system without formatting when our system failed to boot, even in safe mode?
Related Article 2019 ➤ 7 Free Bootable CD and USB DOS Antivirus for Microsoft Windows XP and 7
In situation like these, Rescue Disk becomes very useful, today we’re going to talk about Free Rescue Disk available in the market, basically what these Rescue Disk does is, it boots itself up before the system (Windows) in DOS and subsequently performs a system check for virus and Trojans. And the winner is? Avira Rescue System, because the virus definition for its rescue system is updated on a daily basis, whereas the others virus definition for their Rescue System Disk are updated on a monthly basis.
↓ 01 – Avira AntiVir Rescue System | Download
The Avira AntiVir Rescue System a linux-based application that allows accessing computers that cannot be booted anymore. Thus it is possible to repair a damaged system, to rescue data or to scan the system for virus infections. Just double-click on the rescue system package to burn it to a CD/DVD. You can then use this CD/DVD to boot your computer. The Avira AntiVir Rescue System is updated several times a day so that the most recent security updates are always available. Works great on Microsoft Windows 10.
- Updated several times a day so that the most recent security updates are always available.
- Repair a damaged system.
- Rescue data.
- Scan the system for virus infections.
- Its a Linux based CD.
↓ 02 – BitDefender Rescue CD | Download
Bitdefender Rescue CD is a free tool that scans and cleans your computer whenever you suspect a malware threat is affecting its operation. Bitdefender Rescue CD works without loading the operating system and can be set up either on a CD/DVD or on a USB flash drive.
- The best thing in this rescue CD is, when you boot using this CD and connects to Internet, it can update the virus definition.
↓ 03 – Kaspersky Rescue Disk | Download
Kaspersky Rescue Disk is a free tool for disinfecting computers from malware which does not allow the operating system to start.
- Performs the same task as mentioned above
- Linux based
- Virus definition is updated once a month
↓ 04 – Norton Bootable Recovery Tool | Download
If you are unable to remove threats using the regular scanner in your Norton product or if your computer will not start, use the Norton Bootable Recovery Tool to get the problem resolved fast. Gets your computer back up and running if it becomes so infected that it won’t work properly or even start.
- Repair infected system files that cannot be removed in Windows environment.
- Repair virus infections that are causing Norton product installation failure.
- Norton Bootable Recovery Wizard lets you create a bootable tool even on a USB device.
- Restore your computer to normal working mode when it is infected so deeply that it will not start.
↓ 05 – Comodo Rescue Disk | Download
Comodo Rescue Disk (CRD) is a bootable disk image that allows users to run virus scans in a pre-boot environment. It is a powerful virus, spyware and rootkit cleaner which works in both GUI and text mode. CRD can provide a more comprehensive and thorough scan than regular malware cleaning applications because it cleans your system before Windows is loaded. CRD is intended to be used when malware embeds itself so deeply into your system that regular AV software cannot remove it. The rescue disk is also very effective at removing infections that are preventing Windows from booting in the first place. Apart from the virus scanner, CRD also provides tools to explore files in your hard drive, take screenshot and browse web pages.
- Boot disk that runs Comodo Cleaning Essentials virus scanner in a pre-boot environment
- Includes full AV scanning engine capable of removing rootkits embedded so deeply they cannot be removed with CCE for Windows
- Automatically downloads latest virus signatures prior to executing scan for maximum security
- Perfect for ensuring computers are totally clean of threats when troubleshooting problems or setting up a secure network of endpoints
- Also includes tools that allow you to explore files, take screenshots and browse the Internet
- No installation required – runs direct from USB or CD/DVD
↓ 06 – ESET SysRescue Live | Download
A malware cleaning tool that runs independent of the operating system from a CD, DVD, or a USB. It has direct access to the disk and the file system, and therefore is capable of removing the most persistent threats. ESET SysRescue Live is only intended as an on-demand scanning and removal tool to get rid of persistent threats.
- ESET SysRescue Live is a malware cleaning tool that runs independent of the operating system from a CD, DVD, or a USB.
- It has direct access to the disk and the file system, and therefore is capable of removing the most persistent threats.
↓ 07 – AVG Rescue CD | Download
If malware gets past your security software, AVG Rescue CD can get your PC back up and running. AVG resellers have been using this same solution to recover their customers infected systems and now it’s available to your business, free of charge. It’s your systems clean bill of health without the bill. Keep your systems running smoothly with protection from AVG Rescue CD. This comprehensive toolkit repairs system crashes and returns systems to operating at full capacity.
↓ 08 – F-Secure Rescue CD | Discontinued
F-Secure Rescue CD contains the Knoppix derivative of the Linux operating system, which can run completely from a CD and allows access to your PC’s operating system and hard disks. Use Rescue CD to boot up a PC you suspect has been infected, or has had its security software compromised. Note that it cannot scan encrypted disks. Once booted, you can check the installed programs and perform more advanced repair and data recovery operations
- Update the virus definition if an Internet connection is available.
- Rescue CD will by default scan, all hard drives in the computer, all USB drives attached to the computer, Windows FAT and NTFS drives
- Virus definition databases are updated automatically if the computer has an internet connection
- Virus definition databases can be updated manually by using a USB drive
- The Rescue CD Guide (pdf) has step by step instructions how to use the CD