How to Recover Your Lost or Stolen Laptop? Laptop theft is the top 3 computer crimes along with virus and hacking, on a bigger picture, laptop theft is the second most common crime according to FBI. What are your odds of being mugged? or encounter a car accident? How do you protect your data and laptop against theft today? The hardest part when it comes to losing a laptop is when all of your important data is not recoverable or worst, it falls onto the wrong hands, thus making you and your company vulnerable to potential lawsuits and lost of profit. If purchasing these services appears to be expensive, try some of the freely available encrypt software, they may not be the best but at least it keeps your data safe for a certain period of time
There is hundreds of software and services that promise you the ability to pin point the exact location of your laptop when it is stolen, these services are like insurance and it is costly in the long run. It is crucial to backup your data to a portable hard disk at least every week. Here are some interesting facts on Laptop theft:
- One out of every 10 notebook computers stolen, 90% are not recovered.
- Laptop theft doubled over the past year.
- Over 85% of theft is insider job.
- Laptop theft is one of the top 3 computer crimes along with virus and hacking.
- 81% of U.S. firms lost laptops with sensitive data in the past year.
↓ 01 – PreyProject | GPS / SpyCam | Free | Windows, Mac, Linux, Android, iOS
Prey is an anti-theft tracking software for your laptop, phone and tablet that lets you remotely locate, lock, wipe and recover it if ever stolen, or simply missing. You do this by logging into an web platform where you can also trigger actions like sounding an alarm or show an onscreen message to let the thief know you’re after him. Prey uses a remote activation system which means the program sits silently in your computer until you actually want it to run. If so, it gathers all the information and sends it to your Prey web control panel or directly to your mailbox. Features:
- Wifi autoconnect – Prey will attempt to connect to a Wifi to send the necessary information.
- Powerful report system – Will take a screenshot of the desktop or a picture of the thief via the build in web cam.
- Messaging/alert system – Send a message which will appear on the screen together with a loud alarm to the thief.
- Webcam image capturing – Capture images of the theft silently using the secondary camera.
- Screen shot grabbing – Capture screen shot, this enables you to find out which website he or she is visiting, such as his facebook page.
- Data securing, hardware scanning, screen locking, remote messaging, and sonic-alarm triggering.
↓ 02 – Absolute DDS [ Enterprise ] | GPS | Windows, Mac, Android
Absolute Data & Device Security (DDS), formerly Absolute Computrace, provides you with a persistent connection to all of your endpoints and the data they contain so you can deliver a digital learning experience while promoting a safer school environment and securing your IT assets. With Absolute DDS, it’s all about the connection. By maintaining a two-way connection with each device, you have the insight you need to assess risk and apply remote security measures so you can protect each endpoint, ensure a safer school environment, and recover stolen devices. This valuable insight is delivered through a cloud-based console that requires no additional IT infrastructure.
- Connect to absolute-protect.com, which establishes location of the computer.
- Calls phone number(s) you specify.
- No monitoring fee required.
- Saves owner info on hard disk that can prove ownership of the computer
- Survive hard disk formatting.
↓ 03 – Pombo [ Open Source ] | GPS | Windows, Mac, Android
Pombo can help you recover your computer in the event it’s stolen. It works on Windows, GNU/Linux and Mac OSX. How does it work? Pombo works silently in the background, hidden, and sends tracking information to a webserver of your choice. If your computer is stolen, just log into your webserver to get the lastest file uploaded by Pombo, decrypt and hand it to the police. They will have all they need to catch the thief: IP address, date/time, nearby routers, screenshot, and even a photo of his/her face if you have a webcam !
↓ 04 – Norton Anti-Theft [ Discontinued ] | GPS / SpyCam | Windows
Norton Anti-Theft helps you quickly lock and find your PC laptop, MacBook, tablet or smartphone – and protect the invaluable information contained on it – if it’s ever lost or stolen. And you can use any browser, anywhere, anytime to find out where it is and who has it and to remotely lock it. Features:
- Locate: Tracks and maps the location of your device when anyone uses it to go online so you will know if it is lost or stolen.
- Remote Lock: Securely locks your device to prevent strangers from using it or seeing your information.
- Lost Notification: Displays a customizable message to anyone who finds your missing device so you can make arrangements to get it back.
- Web Control: Works securely over the Internet, so you can easily track, locate, and lock your devices anytime, anywhere.
- Sneak Peek: Snaps photos of anyone or anything in front of your device then saves the images to the Norton Anti-Theft Web site to help you get back your device. (Webcam devices only)
↓ 05 – Inspire Trace [ Discontinued ] | GPS
Inspice Trace is a laptop tracking and remote data destruction software. The security software emails you precise location of your laptop. In addition, it lets you unrecoverable destroy your sensitive data in the laptop to protect the data from any unauthorized access. The highlights:
- Destroy data in stolen computer.
- Accurate and worldwide tracking.
↓ 06 – PC PhoneHome [ Discontinued ] | GPS
Once installed, PC PhoneHome will secretly send an invisible email message to an email address of your choice containing the physical location of your computer every time you get an Internet connection.
- Locates lost/stolen computer in virtually any country of the world.
- PC PhoneHome sends a stealth e-mail message containing its exact location
↓ 07 – XTool Laptop Tracker [ Discontinued ] | GPS / Spycam | Mac
What makes XTool Laptop Tracker unique is the camera function; more and more laptops are now made with built-in cameras due to the higher availability of bandwidth and the increasing demand for more personalized contacts. XTool Laptop Tracker has the ability to detect a camera connected to a laptop and can take a snapshot of the unauthorized user that is then relayed to the XTool Monitoring Center! Since statistics show that approximately 90% of laptop theft is committed by insiders (friends, employees, colleagues, etc), a picture of the unauthorized user not only quickly leads to the location of the thief but can be used as evidence in case the laptop is sold to a 3rd party!
XTool Laptop Tracker is a service designed to locate and recover lost or stolen laptops. The XTool Laptop Tracker service uses a smart agent designed to collect and transmit critical information needed to pinpoint it’s location when lost or stolen and/or to identify the unauthorized user in case of a theft.
- Laptop Camera Information, snap a pic of the theft
- GPS location detection
- Wifi Connection Information
- Gurantee Recovery or else Xtool will compensate your lost
↓ 08 – Laptop Alarm [ Outdated ] | Alarm | Windows
Yes, Laptop Alarm is a freeware, it doesn’t monitor or track your stolen laptop, it prevents. Once installed, Laptop Alarm will emit a LOUD ALARM on
- A/C Power Removal provided the battery is attached
- Mouse Removal
- Mouse Movement
- Attempt to Shutdown / Suspend