Unable to boot into Windows XP or Vista due to virus? Trojan? Sometimes we find ourselves in deep trouble when our system refused to boot up, more often than not, this is due to viral infection and how do we go about cleaning the system without formatting when our system failed to boot, even in safe mode?
In situation like these, Rescue Disk becomes very useful, today we’re going to talk about Free Rescue Disk available in the market, basically what these Rescue Disk does is, it boots itself up before the system (Windows) in DOS and subsequently performs a system check for virus and Trojans.
Recommended Reading: 7 Free Bootable CD and USB DOS Antivirus for Microsoft Windows XP and 7
Avira AntiVir Rescue System | Download
- Updated several times a day so that the most recent security updates are always available.
- Repair a damaged system.
- Rescue data.
- Scan the system for virus infections.
- Its a Linux based CD.
F-Secure Rescue CD | Download
- Update the virus definition if an Internet connection is available.
- Rescue CD will by default scan, all hard drives in the computer, all USB drives attached to the computer, Windows FAT and NTFS drives
- Virus definition databases are updated automatically if the computer has an internet connection
- Virus definition databases can be updated manually by using a USB drive
- The Rescue CD Guide (pdf) has step by step instructions how to use the CD
BitDefender Rescue CD | Download
- The best thing in this rescue CD is, when you boot using this CD and connects to Internet, it can update the virus definition.
Kaspersky Rescue Disk | Download
- Performs the same task as mentioned above
- Linux based
- Virus definition is updated once a month
And the winner is? Avira Rescue System, because the virus definition for its rescue system is updated on a daily basis, whereas the others virus definition for their Rescue System Disk are updated on a monthly basis.
Norton Bootable Recovery Tool | Download
- Repair infected system files that cannot be removed in Windows environment.
- Repair virus infections that are causing Norton product installation failure.
- Norton Bootable Recovery Wizard lets you create a bootable tool even on a USB device.
- Restore your computer to normal working mode when it is infected so deeply that it will not start.
Comodo Rescue Disk | Download
- Boot disk that runs Comodo Cleaning Essentials virus scanner in a pre-boot environment
- Includes full AV scanning engine capable of removing rootkits embedded so deeply they cannot be removed with CCE for Windows
- Automatically downloads latest virus signatures prior to executing scan for maximum security
- Perfect for ensuring computers are totally clean of threats when troubleshooting problems or setting up a secure network of endpoints
- Also includes tools that allow you to explore files, take screenshots and browse the Internet
- No installation required – runs direct from USB or CD/DVD
ESET SysRescue Live | Download
- ESET SysRescue Live is a malware cleaning tool that runs independent of the operating system from a CD, DVD, or a USB.
- It has direct access to the disk and the file system, and therefore is capable of removing the most persistent threats.