Unable to boot into Windows XP or Vista due to virus? Trojan? Sometimes we find ourselves in deep trouble when our system refused to boot up, more often than not, this is due to viral infection and how do we go about cleaning the system without formatting when our system failed to boot, even in safe mode?
In situation like these, Rescue Disk becomes very useful, today we’re going to talk about Free Rescue Disk available in the market, basically what these Rescue Disk does is, it boots itself up before the system (Windows) in DOS and subsequently performs a system check for virus and Trojans.
Avira AntiVir Rescue System | Free Download
- Updated several times a day so that the most recent security updates are always available.
- Repair a damaged system.
- Rescue data.
- Scan the system for virus infections.
- Its a Linux based CD.
F-Secure Rescue CD | Free Download
- Update the virus definition if an Internet connection is available.
- Rescue CD will by default scan, all hard drives in the computer, all USB drives attached to the computer, Windows FAT and NTFS drives
- Virus definition databases are updated automatically if the computer has an internet connection
- Virus definition databases can be updated manually by using a USB drive
- The Rescue CD Guide (pdf) has step by step instructions how to use the CD
BitDefender Rescue CD | Free Download
- The best thing in this rescue CD is, when you boot using this CD and connects to Internet, it can update the virus definition.
Kaspersky Rescue Disk | Free Download
- Performs the same task as mentioned above
- Linux based
- Virus definition is updated once a month
And the winner is? Avira Rescue System, because the virus definition for its rescue system is updated on a daily basis, whereas the others virus definition for their Rescue System Disk are updated on a monthly basis.