Using Microsoft Windows 7 or Windows 8 without installing any antivirus is like not using any protection with an escort. Having said that, if you are still using Windows XP, you are literally asking for trouble. Windows XP is a 10+ years old operating system developed by Microsoft 13 years ago, Microsoft no longer provide crucial security patches and updates for XP.
It is time to upgrade! For those into small business, you may like the 6 Free Corporate Antivirus Firewall Solutions For Small Business Commercial Use, they are free but comes with no support or slower antivirus updates.
Summary Of All Free Antivirus Features [ Comparison ]
In this article, we’ll be looking at all of the 11 free antivirus available in the market by leading antivirus software maker. Remember that free is not always free, there are hidden cost. There is a saying: “If you’re not paying for the product, you are the product.”
In this case, the free antivirus software are free because it is used by these companies to gather intelligence, discover potential new outbreak, modify your browser’s search engine, nag you with nagware to upgrade and etc. Nothing is free, this includes Microsoft Security Essential, it is free provided that you own a genuine windows operating system.
- On-Demand Scan – Refers to the possibility of performing a manual scan (by the user) on the entire computer/device
- On-Access Scan – Refers to the ability of a product to automatically scan every file at its creation and/or subsequent modification.
- Boot-time scan – Scheduled to run the next time your computer boots up to scans for known types of malware and removes threats before the operating system and other services are running.
- Intrusion Detection System (IDS) – Monitors the network or systems for malicious activity or policy violations.
- Heuristic – Is an analysis is a method employed by many computer antivirus programs designed to detect previously unknown computer viruses, as well as new.
- CloudAV – Refers to the ability of a product to automatically perform scans on the cloud. This new technology enables the antivirus software to detect 99.99% of malware before it cause problems to your system.
|On Demand Scan||On Access Scan||Boot Time Scan||Intrusion Detection System||Web Protection||Heuristic||Cloud|
|Avira Free Antivirus||Yes||Yes||Yes||-||-||Yes||Yes|
|Comodo Antivirus Free||Yes||Yes||-||-||-||-||-|
|BitDefender Antivirus Free||Yes||Yes||Yes||-||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|avast! Free Antivirus||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|AVG AntiVirus Free||Yes||Yes||Yes||-||Yes||Yes||-|
|Panda Antivirus Free||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|360 Total Security||Yes||Yes||Yes||-||Yes||Yes||Yes|
Which Free Antivirus To Choose?
I am not a big fan of free antivirus, but that doesn’t mean I do not use free antivirus. My primary workstation is protected by Symantec Norton Antivirus. If you can’t decide which free antivirus to use, my advice is to go with the antivirus with the most installation base. Meaning to say, if more people uses that antivirus, the chances of the antivirus to discover new malware are higher, thus the faster the security team will come out with a new solution to counter it.
It is not a big surprised that Microsoft is the number 1 antivirus software, since it is free and comes bundled with every Windows operating system, Microsoft Security Essential is the all time favorite. However, being number 1 means being the target by hackers and virus author. Therefore it might be a good idea to go with the 2nd or 3rd most installed free Antivirus, in this case, it is Avast or AVG. Reason being that antivirus are now crowd based intelligence, the more antivirus installed means the better the intelligence gathering is – also known as Cloud Antivirus.