How to change the data and properties on a Jpeg, Tiff or RAW image file format? If you’re searching for a freeware that does simple exif editing, look no further. Microsoft Windows Explorer has the capability to edit exif data. You can change the description, tags, authors, copyright information, data modified and many more.
However, for those looking for a more powerful metadata editor, this article has a simple list of freeware that enables you to change exif data of photos. Just for your information, photo metadata allows information to be transported with an image file, in a way that can be understood by other software, hardware, and end users, regardless of the format. By modifying these metadata, it doesn’t mean you have successfully fooled the police, there will always be digital breadcrumbs that are traceable.
↓ 01 – AnalogExif | Windows | macOS
AnalogExif is a free metadata editor for the scanned films and DSC-captured digital images. Modification of the most EXIF, IPTC and XMP metadata tags for JPEG and TIFF files.
- Modification of the most EXIF, IPTC and XMP metadata tags for JPEG and TIFF files
- Equipment library to store metadata properties of the film cameras and other analog equipment
- Custom XMP schema for film camera properties (e.g. film name, exposure number etc.) and user-defined XMP schema for extra flexibility
- Batch operations (copy metadata from another file, auto-fill exposure number)
- Customizable set of the supported metadata tags
↓ 02 – ExifTool GUI | Windows
This is perhaps one of the most powerful Exif editors. Runs on both Microsoft Windows and macOS, ExifTool is a powerful editor that reads, writes and edits meta information in a wide variety of files.
ExifTool supports many different metadata formats including EXIF, GPS, IPTC, XMP, JFIF, GeoTIFF, ICC Profile, Photoshop IRB, FlashPix, AFCP and ID3, as well as the maker notes of many digital cameras by Canon, Casio, FLIR, FujiFilm, GE, HP, JVC/Victor, Kodak, Leaf, Minolta/Konica-Minolta, Nikon, Olympus/Epson, Panasonic/Leica, Pentax/Asahi, Phase One, Reconyx, Ricoh, Samsung, Sanyo, Sigma/Foveon and Sony.
↓ 03 – Exif Pilot | Windows
Exif Pilot is a Free EXIF Editor that allows you to manipulate METAdata within image files. The free version doesn’t come with batch processing, you’ll be required to pay a small fee for the addon plugin.
- View EXIF, EXIF GPS, IPTC, and XMP data.
- Edit, create EXIF, EXIF GPS, IPTC, and XMP.
- Remove EXIF, IPTC tags, and clean up all metadata
- Add, edit, and remove keywords.
- Import/export EXIF and IPTC from/to XML files.
- Import/export EXIF and IPTC from/to MS Excel files.
- Import/export EXIF and IPTC from/to Text files in CSV format.
↓ 04 – EXIFManager | Windows
EXIFManager is a free software that allows users to quickly enter image description / user comment / author on a set of pictures, inside the EXIF data and also to rename pictures files using EXIF data and a powerful format editor.
↓ 05 – Metadata++ | Windows
Metadata++ is a powerful yet easy to use freeware tool to view, edit, modify, extract, copy metadata of various file formats. Metadata++ is designed to be as fast as possible: quick navigation among directories, fast directories reading, fast and smooth painting of panels and thumbnails. Metadata++ is portable, it is configured to store all configuration and settings in the same folder that it is run from.
↓ 06 – EXIF Date Changer Lite | Windows
Almost all digital cameras record and store various camera settings, scene information, date/time the photo was taken etc as Exchangeable Image File Format (EXIF) data. This metadata is stored within the image file and won’t get lost or overwritten when copying or transferring your photos to other computers. EXIF Date Changer Lite enables you to quickly and easily adjust the date/time taken on your photos and scanned images.
- Adjust or set the ‘ date time taken’ of your digital photos – Compensate for incorrect camera settings or different time zones within seconds across an entire folder of images.
- Process selected images or batch process entire folders of images – Quickly and easily select the required images by either selecting a folder or individual images.
↓ 07 – GeoSetter | Windows
GeoSetter is a freeware tool for Windows for showing and changing geo data and other metadata (IPTC/XMP/Exif) of image files (e.g. images taken by digital cameras). The embedded map of GeoSetter doesn’t work on Windows, please see my short explanation here.
- Reads and writes the formats JPEG and TIFF as well as camera RAW formats DNG (Adobe), CRW, CR2 and THM (Canon), NEF and NRW (Nikon), MRW (Konica Minolta), PEF (Pentax), ORF (Olympus), ARW, SR2, SRF (Sony) and RAF (Fujifilm), RW2 and RAW (Panasonic), RWL (Leica)
- Uses ExifTool by Phil Harvey for writing data
- Shows existing geo coordinates, image directions and tracks on embedded Google Maps map (requires internet connection)
- Setting geo data by using embedded Google Maps map (requires internet connection) or by entering known values for coordinates and altitude directly
- Automatic filling of location IPTC fields and altitude values (requires internet connection)
- Editable IPTC data (IPTC-NAA/XMP)
- Possibility to change taken date of images
- Synchronization with track files (NMEA, GPX, PLT, Sony LOG, IGC and others)
- Synchronization with already geo tagged images with buddy images (e.g. between RAW images and their corresponding JPEG images)
- Google Earth export