Optimize and compress PNG image files with these 3 free tools. Saving images for web/email/other media with the best compression ratio and quality is a difficult task if you don’t have the right tools. For those with a site that uses mostly PNG, these tools will greatly compress the image file, reduce size and increase the loading speed of your WordPress website. Works great on Microsoft’s Windows 10 and Apple’s macOS.
Related Article ➤ 5 Free Jpeg Compression Tools With Lossy And Lossless Optimization
↓ 01 – PNGGauntlet | Windows
PNGGauntlet is a .NET program that uses Ken Silvermans PNGOUT, OptiPNG and DeflOpt to optimize PNG files. Many PNG files output by popular graphics software packages like Photoshop or even Fireworks are not as small as they could be – PNGGauntlet squeezes the last bit of size out of them.
- Combines PNGOUT, OptiPNG, and DeflOpt to create the smallest PNGs
- No image quality is lost — only file size
- Converts JPG, GIF, TIFF, and BMP files to PNG
↓ 02 – ImageOptim | macOS
ImageOptim makes images load faster. It removes bloated metadata. Saves disk space & bandwidth by compressing images without losing quality. ImageOptim is excellent for publishing images on the web (easily shrinks images “Saved for Web” in Photoshop). It’s useful for making Mac and iPhone/iPad applications smaller (if you configure Xcode to allow better optimization). ImageOptim removes EXIF metadata, such as GPS position and camera’s serial number, so that you can publish images without exposing private information (but there’s an option to keep the metadata if you need it).
- Removes invisible junk – private EXIF metadata from digital cameras, embedded thumbnails, comments, and unnecessary color profiles.
- Reduces image file sizes — so they take up less disk space and download faster — by applying advanced compression that preserves quality.
↓ 03 – PngOptimizer | Windows | Linux
PngOptimizer compresses graphics files and removes extra, unnecessary data without affecting quality. It will update PNG files or converting BMP, GIF or TGA files to the PNG format using simple drag-and-drop. You can also paste a clipboard image straight into PngOptimizer and get a PNG file directly.
- Cleans your PNG files of useless or wrong information.
- Reduces your PNG files weight.
- Converts into PNG other lossless image formats (BMP, GIF, TGA).
- Supports animated PNG (APNG).