Website speed is part and parcel for a good ranking in Google, and one of the biggest bottleneck are images due to the size. If you own a small site with average traffics, you should give these free CDN a try. For those in the dark, a CDN is a service where they deliver your images via their network of servers around the world closes to the visitors.
I highly recommend Cloudflare, it is perhaps one of the very best CDN service providers that offer all round robust free CDN service and security. It is free irrespective of how much traffic your site’s generating, the only million dollar question is, how do they make money when their pro and enterprise plan is equally cheap?
↓ 01 – Cloudinary | 5GB Bandwidth | Images and Videos
Still Managing Your Images In-House? Use Cloudinary’s image service instead. With simple integration that developers will love you’ll get immediate access to cutting-edge image capabilities. Save R&D time, get to market faster, reduce your IT costs and improve your viewers experience. Get your images delivered lightning-fast, responsive and highly optimized for any device in any location. Images are served via Akamai’s worldwide CDN.
- 75,000 total Images & Videos
- Upload images to a cloud-based storage – Fast image uploads: secure upload API, version management, remote upload from public URLs, direct uploading from the browser, image transformation on upload, private images support.
- Fast CDN delivery with advanced caching – High performance delivery through CDN. Multiple CDN support – Amazon CloudFront and Akamai. Virtually limitless scale. Public HTTP and secure HTTPS access to resources, multiple CDN sub-domains support and smart cache settings.
- Safe high-end storage, leveraging Amazon S3.
↓ 02 – Cloudflare | 5GB Bandwidth + Security
They offer a Free plan for small personal websites, blogs, and anyone who wants to evaluate Cloudflare. Our mission is to build a better Internet. We believe every website should have free access to foundational security and performance. Cloudflare’s Free plan has no limit on the amount of bandwidth your visitors use or websites you add. If you want to make your site even faster and more resilient, you can easily upgrade to one of our higher tier plans.
- Globally load balanced content delivery network (CDN)
- HTTP/2 and SPDY
- Smart Routing
↓ 03 – Incapsula | Unknown Bandwidth + Security
The Incapsula Content Delivery Network (CDN) is a global network that uses intelligent caching and cache control options, as well as high-speed storage and optimization tools to improve your website performance while lowering bandwidth costs. On average, websites using the Incapsula CDN are 50% faster and consume up to 70% less bandwidth, benefiting from our:
- Dynamic caching technology based on machine learning
- Reliable, self-healing mesh network topology
- Peered, Tier 1 transit system for optimal coverage
- Extensive cache control options
- Instant cache purge and cache rule propagation
- Security and bot management features
↓ 04 – Jetpack Photon | Unlimited / Images Only
Photon by WordPress is an image acceleration and editing service for sites hosted on WordPress.com or on Jetpack-connected WordPress sites. That means less load on your host and faster images for your readers. The drawback with Photon is images are hosted on their domain, meaning to say the URL of your images cannot be customized to match your domain.
↓ 05 – Swarmify | 10GB Bandwidth | Image and Videos
To date, over 5300 WordPress site owners have deployed Swarmify’s image acceleration plugin and generated scores of 5-star reviews in the process. Simple to install and configure, our WordPress plugin powers image delivery for some of the busiest WordPress sites around. Between Hyperlocal geo-serving and lazy loading, images load swiftly and bandwidth is saved.
If you are serious in growing your website, always go for paid plans. Free services like these then to allocate minimal resources such as slower bandwidth. Cloudflare is the best in term of pricing, speed and performance. It is more than a CDN, it provides security protection and more. Amazon CloudFront is another good option, so is MaxCDN.