There used to be a time when Mac computers were considered almost ‘virus-proof’. Unfortunately, this is no longer the case. The quantity of Mac viruses is growing at an alarming rate and solid protection against these threats is essential if you wish to prevent identity theft, file corruption or interception of your credit card details. Yes, there are Mac OS viruses, and Mac system do get infected. How do Mac system get infected by these malwares? They are infected when a person visited certain websites when there is a bug in Mac OSX for the hackers to exploit, usually it is done via script injection.
Related Article 2019 ➤ Download 4 Best Apple Firewall For Mac OS X Web Application Security
The million dollar question is, do you need antivirus for Mac? The answer is not that important, the real question is, what have you got to lose by installing an antivirus for mac? Nothing! What have you got to lose by not installing and got infected? Everything! Anti-Malware for Mac roots out and destroys malware that is hiding deep in your system. These free antivirus for mac works on Mac OS X 10.11 (El Capitan), Mac OS X 10.10 (Yosemite), Mac OS X 10.9 (Mavericks), Mac OS X 10.8 (Mountain Lion), Mac OS X 10.7 (Lion), and Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard).
↓ 01 – AVG AntiVirus App for Mac [ Antivirus ]
Beneath its deceptively simple design lies a powerful security engine that works in real time to detect and remove not only Mac-specific viruses and spyware, but PC and mobile threats, too. So AVG AntiVirus not only helps protect all that’s important on your Mac, it also prevents you from infecting friends on other devices. AVG AntiVirus for Mac® is compatible with OS X Mountain Lion or later.
- Triple protection – Against Mac, PC and mobile viruses
- Always on – Runs quietly in the background for fewer distractions
- Automatic updates – Always up-to-date against the latest threats
↓ 02 – Malwarebytes Anti-Malware for Mac [ Anti-Adware | Antivirus ]
Is your Mac running slow? Annoying adware, like pop-ups, or malware could be the problem. Malwarebytes Anti-Malware for Mac scans for and removes code that degrades system performance or attacks your system. Making your Mac, once again, your Mac. What it does for you:
- Removes adware, such as Genieo, VSearch, and Vidx
- Removes malware, including Trojans
- Scans quickly
- Simplifies program management through a clean, lean interface
↓ 03 – Avira Antivirus [ Antivirus ]
Free protection that’s better than other paid products. Avira Free Antivirus for Mac delivers first-rate protection for free. Not only does it protect you from all Mac related threats, it also prevents you from passing on PC viruses as well.
- Real-Time Scanner – Analyzes any file the system accesses
- System Scanner – Configurable, on-demand search for known viruses and malware
- Quarantine Management – Manage suspicious files that have been quarantined for your safety
- Integrated Scheduler – Automate recurring tasks like updates or scans
↓ 04 – Avast Free Mac Security App [ Antivirus | Browser Scanner ]
You love your Mac, and rightfully so. Which is all the more reason to protect it with the most popular Mac security available. Mac OS X is considered one of the most secure operating systems available. But today’s threats aren’t after your computer – they’re after your identity and your money.
↓ 05 – Comodo Antivirus for Mac [ Antivirus | Browser Scanner ]
Comodo Antivirus provides the state-of-the-art virus protection to your Mac OS computer at no cost. Featuring an on-demand scanner, ‘always on’ real-time protection and a constantly updated database of known viruses, Comodo Antivirus provides superior protection against zero-day malware. This is not a stripped down version of a paid product, it’s the real deal. Scan any drive or file. Get in-depth reports on viral activity. Even scan compressed .zip files, where viruses often hide. All in one attractive user-friendly interface. Unique Features:
- Automatic updates for the most up-to-date virus protection
- Drag and drop any object onto the dock icon for instant virus analysis
- Easy to use interface lets you install and forget: no annoying pop-ups or false alarms
↓ 06 – Sophos Free Mac AV [ Antivirus | Web Filtering ]
As Apple products grow in popularity, they have become attractive targets for cybercriminals. Yes, Macs can be infected by a growing number of viruses and other malware. Our free Antivirus for Mac keeps you safe from all the latest Mac threats detected by SophosLabs.
- Full Mac protection from viruses, Trojans and worms – Stops all threats, even those designed for Windows. Not only is your computer safe—the people running PCs you send files to are safe from threats too.
- Secure web browsing – Be safer online. Sophos Antivirus scans websites for malicious codes. It also blocks web-based malware before it can infect your Mac, protecting you from Internet threats.
- Stops all threats, familiar and unfamiliar – Our antivirus technology stops all threats, even if it’s something new. Thanks to Live Antivirus, you have a direct line to SophosLabs for the latest threat intelligence.
- Quarantines and removes the threats it finds – You might not want to immediately delete bad files our scans find. No problem. You can quarantine questionable files and check them again later, or you can have them immediately removed from your computer. The choice is yours.
- Business-quality antivirus, backed by SophosLabs – We’ve put the entire force of our business-strength threat expertise behind Sophos Antivirus for Mac. That means you’re using the same product that protects all of our customer organizations, large, small and in-between.
- Easy installation and painless maintenance – We keep our antivirus light and easy. Once installed, it’ll work quietly in the background with your choice of scanning on-access, on-demand or on a schedule. And of course, it will alert you when it finds something nasty.