Do you really need anti-virus app for an Apple Mac OS X laptop? The answer is Yes and No, depending on your computing habits, if the device is not hooked onto the internet, your chances of being infected is minimal. Having said that, your odds of having your Mac OSX infected is close to zero even if it is hooked to the internet.
Related Article ➤ Download avast! 2014 Antivirus. Which Is Better? AVG vs Avast vs Avira
Without further ado, here are the top 3 reason why you need to install an antivirus on a mac.
- If you installed Microsoft Windows on your Mac.
- If you visited a few not so safe websites.
- If you downloaded and installed many third party software.
With the ability to dual boot both OS at the same time, your Mac OS x could be infected with a hybrid virus from Windows. Today’s virus are programmed to spread through USB thumb drive, thus the ability to jump from OS to OS using the USB flash drive as the vehicle is at large. Without further ado, here are 3 of the best antivirus for your Mac OS X El Capitan 10.11 / Yosemite 10.10, while we prefer Norton, it is unfortunate that they do not offer free version of their security software.
↓ 01 – Avast Free Mac Security App [ Auto Protection ]
We know. Your Mac is captivating. Give it the protection it deserves, with the most trusted security in the world. Mac OS X is considered one of the most secure operating systems available. But today’s threats aren’t after your computer – they’re after your identity and your money. These days hackers “phish,” “spearphish” and “whale” to target you specifically. Combine these with other threats like router hijacking, and your identity is at great risk of being stolen.
If you’re on a Mac running OSX, it will work. You need 128 MB of RAM and 750MB of disk space. Beyond that, you can be running just about any stable version of OSX (even Yosemite), and we’ll keep you protected.
- Full on-access scanning – scans files for any infection at the time they are accessed
- On-demand scanning – scheduled or ad-hoc scans of your system
- Integrated mail protection – stops infections at one of the main access points
- Virus Chest – a place for safe storage of infected or suspicious files, to prevent further virus spreading
- Full automatic updates – of both the program and the virus definitions
- Full control of the scanning options – set avast! To work in the way you want
Unlike competitor’s antivirus for Macbook, Avast Antivirus Mac Edition has the same ICSA Certified scan engine as all Avast antivirus products, offering protection against the latest and legacy virus, malware, Trojan horse, and spyware risks.
↓ 02 – BitDefender Virus Scanner [ Manual Scan ]
This antivirus does not comes with auto scan, ideal for those with dual boot OS on their MacBook with Windows 10. Bitdefender Virus Scanner finds Mac malware as well as Windows viruses with ease. Virus Scanner will detect any infected files that you downloaded or got in your inbox, so your Mac will be safe and you won’t pass anything bad to your friends’ computer.
Grant Bitdefender Virus Scanner access to the locations on your computer that you want to scan against malware. Choose ‘Deep System Scan’ or ‘Scan Critical Locations’ to scan. The award-winning Bitdefender engines will find that piece of malware. For free! Make sure your Mac is free of infected files. Don’t put your friends and family at risk by unknowingly passing along malware.
↓ 03 – Sophos Free Mac AV App [ Auto Protection ]
Sophos Home includes all the features of Free Mac AV with a sleek new user interface that allows you to protect all computers in your home (Mac and Windows) from a single interface. And yes, it’s still free. Free commercial-grade security for the home.
- Malware Protection – Sophos Home keeps nasty viruses at bay, stops malware from slowing down your computer, and helps prevent unwelcome hackers from gaining access to sensitive personal information.
- Web Filtering – Sophos Home protects you from online threats and unsuitable content. With just a few clicks, block access to sites that may contain inappropriate content or malicious software.
↓ 04 – AVG AntiVirus for Mac [ Auto Protection ]
Protect what matters! Beneath its deceptively simple design lies a powerful security engine that works in real time to detect and remove not only Mac-specific viruses and spyware, but PC and mobile threats, too. So AVG AntiVirus not only helps protect all that’s important on your Mac, it also prevents you from infecting friends on other devices.
- Triple protection – Protects not only you, but your friends, too. Our award-winning detection technology scans for Mac, PC, and Android™-based viruses and spyware. So you can feel better knowing your beloved Mac is protected — and that you’re not sharing viruses with any of your other devices or with your PC and Android friends.
- Always on – Anytime you use your Mac, we’ve got you covered. Our Resident Shield runs quietly in the background. Every file you open, copy, or save is automatically scanned so quickly, you’ll never know we’re there.
- Drag & drop simplicity – Staying protected has never been so easy. Scan specific files or folders with simple drag and drop functionality. Or run a thorough scan of your entire Mac with a single click.
- Automatic updates – Sit back & relax. We’ll update you automatically. To stay ahead of the growing number of Mac threats, we’re constantly innovating and evolving our detection methods. Virus database updates get pushed to you automatically, so your Mac is always up-to-date against the latest threats—without you needing to lift a finger.
↓ 05 – Comodo Antivirus for Mac [ Auto Protection ]
Free Mac Security with Complete Virus Protection. Proactive Antivirus provides complete protection against viruses, worms and Trojan horses for Mac OS X based computers. There used to be a time when Mac computers were considered almost ‘virus-proof’. Unfortunately, this is no longer the case. The quantity of Mac viruses is growing at an alarming rate and solid protection against these threats is essential if you wish to prevent identity theft, file corruption or interception of your credit card details.
Comodo Antivirus provides the state-of-the-art virus protection to your Mac OS computer at no cost. Featuring an on-demand scanner, ‘always on’ real-time protection and a constantly updated database of known viruses, Comodo Antivirus provides superior protection against zero-day malware. This is not a stripped down version of a paid product, it’s the real deal. Scan any drive or file. Get in-depth reports on viral activity. Even scan compressed .zip files, where viruses often hide. All in one attractive user-friendly interface. Comodo Antivirus – Unique Features
- Automatic updates for the most up-to-date virus protection
- Drag and drop any object onto the dock icon for instant virus analysis
- Easy to use interface lets you install and forget: no annoying pop-ups or false alarms