It used to be that an ounce of Ink cost more than an ounce of petrol, it is known as one of the most expensive liquid in the world. Not because it is hard to manufacture, it is simply because printer manufacturer has a monopoly on the supply of these inks. A printer is sold at a loss but it cost much more to purchase the ink, that is why HP made billions selling inks during their glory days, not anymore.
Related 2021 Article ➤ 3 Free Adobe PDF Printer Driver For Microsoft Windows 10 & Apple Mac
With the introduction of CIS by third party, also known as Continuous Ink System, printer manufacturer such as Epson and Canon was forced to follow suit with the introduction of their very own CIS printers. Canon joined the market thereafter. Unfortunately, it is only available for home and small business printers, not plotters.
↓ 01 – EcoFont | Ink Saving Font and Software
According to BBC, the most ink cost saving ‘free’ fonts is Garamond, which is widely available everywhere. However, it is not the most ink efficient font in the market. The idea of an “eco typeface” isn’t particularly new. Ecofont is a program you can download that puts holes in typefaces so that when you print them, they use up less ink. The tiny holes in the letters are not seen by the human eye at the average size of printed letters. Tests with Ecofont show savings of 28% on ink for enterprise and small medium business.
Some argued Garamond saves more ink because it is smaller in size compared to the other fonts, therefore it is not a fair comparison. Times New Roman appears to be a good choice too, followed by Calibri and Century Gothic. All three outperformed Arial in various test.
↓ 02 – GreenPrint | Print Log And Managament
More often than not, the number one in ink wastage is the abusive usage by employees printing their own personal stuff. Departments and users have different print habits and needs. Print devices have different capabilities and cost profiles. GreenPrint offers a suite of software solutions that significantly reduce that complexity. They help you tackle print costs with a phased, tailored and measurable approach for every part of your organization. Works great on Microsoft’s Windows 10 and Apple’s macOS.
↓ 03 – TonerSaver | Ink Optimizer And Print Log
TonerSaver 4 is a Windows software, developed using patented printer driver algorithms that control Toner and Ink usage on all Windows based printers. Just one mouse click for substantial cost savings. Control and reduce toner and ink usage by up to 75%, while maintaining print quality.
- Save Toner and/or Ink by up to 75% at an incremental rate of 1%, without sacrificing print resolution.
- Ease-of-use interface, just one click for cost reduced printing.
- Compatible with all Windows based Laser Printers (including Multi-Function Printers) and InkJet printers.
- When choosing [Force Black and White] option, all documents are printed using black ink only. This option gives you additional cost effective printing.
- Force Duplex feature prints on both side of a paper, so you will also be able to save the paper cost.
- Compatible with all Windows applications including Excel, Word, PowerPoint, and all others.
- Compatible with Laser printers and Ink-jet printers. TonerSaver automatically detect ink-jet printers and laser printers, and applies optimized saving technology for each type of printer. This feature enables high quality printing while saving toner.
↓ 04 – APFill | Ink And Toner Cost Calculator
APFill Ink Coverage Calculator is a unique tool for print shops and home users. Now you can optimize pages you print to spend less ink, toner and money. Ink and toner usage is usually described by printer manufacturers as so many pages of A4 using 5% coverage. APFill Ink Coverage Calculator helps you calculate ink and toner coverage on the page before printing.
When you use APFill Ink Coverage you can estimate your cost more accurately. Unlike other software, APFill Ink Coverage you can estimate your cost more accurately by estimate the ink usage of each page based on the ink cartridge, thus explains the price tag. APFill Ink Coverage Calculator is a unique tool for print shops and home users. Now you can optimize pages you print to spend less ink, toner and money. Ink and toner usage (page yield) is usually described by printer manufacturers as so many pages of A4 using 5% coverage according to standard ISO/IEC 19752 test methodologies.
APFill Ink Coverage Calculator helps you calculate ink and toner coverage on the page (total ink coverage/density or total area coverage (TAC)) before printing. When you use APFill Ink Coverage you can estimate your cost more accurately. APFill will help you to estimate price based on paper density, paper format and original color density, so you can optimize pages you print and spend less ink, toner and money.
- Measure the color coverage of every page or average document coverage of a PostScript or PDF file (*.ps, *.pdf) with CMYK separation (up to 8 color spots). To use this feature, you will also need to install GPL Ghostscript 9.07 for Win32 or Win64.
- Measure the color coverage for raster formats (TIFF including multipage, JPG, BMP).
- Measure the color coverage of the highlighted screen area.
↓ 05 – GreenCloud Printer | Optimized Ink And Management
GreenCloud is an eco-friendly PDF and printer driver to save money on your daily print jobs, it’s reducing your ink and paper usage. GreenCloud Printer is a virtual driver to optimize your existing physical printer. Once it is installed it previews the pages before printing for:
- Combine 1, 2, 4 pages per sheet of paper
- Double-sided printing, black & white, and more features can be switched on/off with one click
- Optimized ink saver with 3 levels of saving ink options
↓ 06 – InkSaver [ Discontinued ] | Control Ink Usage
Inksaver allows you to control the amount of ink used by your inkjet printer, making your ink cartridges last longer. Using patented software algorithms, InkSaver optimizes printer data so that your printer uses less ink – even when printing at your inkjet’s highest resolution. InkSaver’s patented technology optimizes your printer data so that you use less ink.
By entering your cartridge price and usage information, InkSaver will automatically calculate your estimated savings according to your ink savings settings. InkSaver works with ALL printer brands including HP®, EPSON®, Canon®, Lexmark® and many more. Inksaver also works with any type of ink or refill kit.
- Saves Money – InkSaver lowers your ink consumption and can extend the life of your ink cartridges by up to 4 times.
- Better than Draft Mode – Unlike printing in Draft mode, InkSaver gives you control over your ink without compromising print quality, regardless of whether you are printing in best, normal or draft mode.
- InkSaver is Easy to Use – Configurable ink savings levels let you choose the ink savings you prefer, from 0 to 75%.
- inksaver works with your inkjet printer – InkSaver works with ALL printer brands including HP®, EPSON®, Canon®, Lexmark® and many more. Inksaver also works with any type of ink or refill kit.