How to disable your notebook or laptop’s touchpad for Microsoft Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8 and 10? That annoying touch-pad are mostly supplied by Synaptics Pointing Device, which means the software that comes with it is more or less the same from one laptop manufacturer to another. Sony uses Alps Pointing device, which is a different hardware. Since there is no universal controller from Microsoft, here as some tutorials on how to disable the touchpad.
Related Article ➤ How to Disable Touchpad Mouse on Sony Vaio Laptop for Windows 7
↓ 01 – Third Party Software | Windows and Linux
Four of my favorite free software, it works on Microsoft Windows 32 or 64 bits. Software is tested and compatible with Windows XP/Vista/7/8/10. The best part is, they are free. You might find these 3rd party software useful if you are running bootcamp on your macbook running Microsoft Windows 7.
- Touchpad Blocker – This freeware allows permanent or temporary disable of touchpad
- Touchfreeze – A free utility for Microsoft Windows to temporary disable touchpad automatically while you are typing text, this software doesn’t permanently disable it.
- Touchpad Pal – Yet another free software, this tiny app will automatically disable touchpad when you are typing text, just like TouchFreeze
- TouchFreeze – is a free and simple utility for Windows that automatically disables the touchpad while you are typing in text. Ubuntu Linux version can be downloaded here.
↓ 02 – Disable Synaptics Pointing Device
If your laptop uses the Synaptics Pointing Device, go to the notification area, double click or right click (to disable) on the icon and browse the touchpad options and disable it from there.
↓ 03 – Disable via Microsoft Windows Device Manager
As shown in the ‘Device Manager’ list (Right click ‘My Computer’ then select ‘Properties’), click on the ‘Mouse and other pointing devices’ list and disable the Touchpad driver. If the disable option is not available, you can uninstall it, but it is best not to because you will be prompted to install new hardware every time you boot up Windows.
↓ 04 – Laptop Manufacturer Software / Hardware
It is good idea to disable the Touchpad via the software provided by the manufacturer, since Lenovo, Dell, HP, Acer, Toshiba, Asus, Samsung, Fujitsu, Sony and more uses their own in-house software, why not visit their support site for answers? As shown in the video, HP has their own software for disabling the touchpad. Some manufacturer such as HP includes a physical on/off button. Asus on the other hand uses a combo of Fn + F1 to F12, it really depends on the brand and make of the laptop.
↓ 05 – Disable Trackpad for Apple | MacOSX
It is somewhat easier on the Mac, You have to change it in the Universal Access.
- Step 1- System Preference > Universal Access > Mouse & Trackpad
- Step 2- Click Trackpad Options
- Step 3- Check “Ignore built-in trackpad when mouse or wireless trackpad is present”.
- Step 4- Click Done