Linux is considered to be more secure than other operating systems. However, it’s increasingly a target of attackers, as Linux systems are used for critical roles like web servers and internal file servers. In addition to being susceptible to Linux-based and cross-platform exploits, unprotected Linux Server machines can also become distribution points for Windows, Mac, and Android malware.
See More ▼ 7 Best FREE Firewall For Microsoft Windows
The other reason for using an antivirus is the widespread use of ransomware. Linux is known for powering 90% of the world’s server, therefore if hackers can encrypt your data or your client’s data, you forced to pay the ransom or close down your business. An antivirus will prevent that.
Comodo Antivirus for Linux (CAVL) offers the same great virus protection as their Windows software with the added benefit of a fully configurable anti-spam system. Featuring on-access and on-demand virus scanners, CAVL also uses cloud based behavior analysis of unknown files to provide unrivaled protection against zero-day malware. The powerful AV engine is complemented by a highly configurable mail gateway to filter spam and block email-borne threats.
- Proactive AV protection intercepts all known threats
- Automatic updates for the most up-to-date virus protection
- Includes scan scheduler, detailed event viewer and custom scan profiles
- Mail filter is compatible with Postfix, qmail, Sendmail and Exim MTA’s
- Install and forget. No annoying false alarms, just solid virus protection.
Powerful anti-virus and email filtering software for Linux based computers.
- Detects and eliminates viruses from Linux based laptops and desktops
- Mail gateway blocks email-borne viruses and spam
- Features on-access, on-demand and cloud based scanning
- Virus definitions updated multiple times per day
- Simple to use: install and forget while Comodo Antivirus protects you in the background
ClamAV is an open source (GPL) anti-virus engine used in a variety of situations including email scanning, web scanning, and endpoint security. It provides a number of utilities including a flexible and scalable multi-threaded daemon, a command line scanner and an advanced tool for automatic database updates.
- Versatile – ClamAV supports multiple file formats, file and archive unpacking, and multiple signature languages.
- High Performance – ClamAV includes a multi-threaded scanner daemon, command line utilities for on demand file scanning and automatic signature updates.
- Virus database updated multiple times per day
- Built-in support for all standard mail file formats
- Built-in support for various archive formats, including Zip, RAR, Dmg, Tar, Gzip, Bzip2, OLE2, Cabinet, CHM, BinHex, SIS and others
- Built-in support for ELF executables and Portable Executable files packed with UPX, FSG, Petite, NsPack, wwpack32, MEW, Upack and obfuscated with SUE, Y0da Cryptor and others
- Built-in support for popular document formats including MS Office and MacOffice files, HTML, Flash, RTF and PDF
Their legendary ESET NOD32 technology shields your Linux system against malware and protects against cross-platform threats. Rely on Antivirus and Antispyware to protect your online identity and private information.
Prevent malware through Detection of Multi-Platform Threats, regardless of what system they target – Windows, Linux or macOS. ESET NOD32 Antivirus 4 for Linux Desktop runs on any system with Debian, RedHat, Ubuntu, SuSe, Fedora, Mandriva and majority of RPM and DEB distributions.
- Signature-light footprint – Built for Small system footprint you can rely on fast boot-up and smooth operation.
- Easy to use – Simple, easy to use design puts all the vital security information and actions right at your fingertips.
4. Sophos Antivirus For Linux
[ Discontinued ] Sophos Antivirus for Linux provides superior on-access, on-demand, and scheduled scanning for Linux servers and desktops. It delivers excellent performance, stability, and reliability to a wide range of Linux distributions. Sophos Antivirus for Linux ensures efficient on-access scanning using either the TALPA Filesystem Interceptor or the Fanotify library. On-demand and scheduled scans are also available. Scanning can be configured for local and network drives.
Sophos Antivirus for Linux is continually tuned for the best performance. The lightweight agent keeps your Linux boxes secure without slowing them down. Protection updates are small—typically under 50 KB—so updates are easy on your network and your Linux machines.
- Detects and blocks malware with on-access, on-demand, or scheduled scanning – Scanning can be configured for local and network drives.
- Excellent performance, low impact – Sophos Antivirus for Linux is continually tuned for the best performance. The lightweight agent keeps your Linux boxes secure without slowing them down. Protection updates are small—typically under 50 KB—so updates are easy on your network and your Linux machines.
- Effective and secure – The Sophos Antivirus engine effectively detects and cleans viruses, Trojans, and other malware. In addition to sophisticated detection-based on advanced heuristics, Sophos Antivirus for Linux uses Live Protection to look up suspicious files in real time via SophosLabs.
5. F-PROT Antivirus For Linux Workstations
[ Discontinued ] For home users using the Linux open-source operating system, they offer F-Prot Antivirus for Linux Workstations. F-PROT Antivirus for Linux Workstations utilizes the renowned F-PROT Antivirus scanning engine for primary scan but has in addition to that a system of internal heuristics devised to search for unknown viruses
F-PROT Antivirus for Linux was especially developed to effectively eradicate viruses threatening workstations running Linux. It provides full protection against macro viruses and other forms of malicious software – including Trojans. F-PROT Antivirus for Linux Workstations is FREE for use by personal users on personal workstations.
- Scans for over 2119958 known viruses and their variants
- Ability to perform scheduled scans when used with the cron utility
- Scans hard drives, CD-ROMS, diskettes, network drives, directories and specific files
- Scans for images of boot sector viruses, macro viruses and Trojan Horses
F-Secure is the most complete security software for Linux, it has ever feature from Firewall to Cloud Antivirus, from AntiSpam to Web Protection. F-Secure Linux Security provides both server and client protection for companies using the Linux environment. It supports a wide varities of platforms. The following 32-bit Linux distributions are supported:
- CentOS 6.0-6.7
- Debian 7.0-7.9
- Oracle Linux 6.6, 6.7 RHCK
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6.0-6.7
- SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 11 SP1, SP3, SP4
- Ubuntu 12.04.(1-5) 14.04.(1-3)
The following 64-bit (AMD64/EM64T) distributions are supported:
- CentOS 6.0-6.7, 7.0-7.1
- Debian 7.0-7.9
- Debian 8.0, 8.1
- Oracle Linux 6.6, 6.7 RHCK
- Oracle Linux 7.1 UEK
- RHEL 6.0-6.7, 7.0-7.1
- SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 11 SP1, SP3, SP4
- SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 12
- Ubuntu 12.04.(1-5), 14.04.(1-3)
Panda DesktopSecure for Linux is the ideal solution for computers running Linux. It is designed to respond to the specific protection demands of home computers, both laptops and PCs, running this operating system.
This powerful and simple to use antivirus includes a wide range of technologies and a firewall in order to prevent data loss from your PC caused by viruses, hackers and intruders.
- Complete protection – Panda DesktopSecure for Linux neutralizes all types of threats: viruses, worms, Trojans, dialers, spyware, spam; regardless of the source of the threat: Windows or Linux. DesktopSecure also incorporates a heuristic engine that can detect potential threats and block them until the disinfection routine is available.
- Permanent mail protection – Email is the main means of propagation used by malware. It is essential to ensure that you have permanent protection that monitors the email messages sent to users’ mailboxes in order to eliminate the threat before it infects the file system. Panda DesktopSecure scans mail reaching the most widely used mail clients, such as Ximian Evolution, Kmail, Mozilla Mail and Thunderbird
- Ease of use – Panda DesktopSecure has been specifically designed for home computers and workstations, providing an intuitive graphic interface based on X-Window, which is fully compatible with the majority of distributions and desktops on the market, such as Gnome and KDE. DesktopSecure can also warn you in the case of incidents and offers clear reports of the scans carried out, and includes a detailed information system to keep you informed.
- Powerful firewall – DesktopSecure for Linux incorporates firewall technology to protect against access attempts from remote computers and external connection attempts from the protected computer, identifying the application involved as if it were a personal firewall. This firewall can also be configured using system rules to administer external connections.
Avast security for linux comes in 3 different packages, you can choose to protect your Linux email servers, file servers or the entire network.
- Avast Core Security – Basic antivirus that combat the newest threats and prevent malware from infecting your linux server.
- Avast File Server Security – Protect files right on your server and save the precious power of your workstations for creative work.
- Avast Network Security – A Firewall that scan and filter all web (HTTP) and email (POP3, IMAP) traffic on the network, the filter is completely transparent to users on the network, so there’s no impact on your network performance.
The WannaCry ransomware epidemic hit users on Windows like wildfire, but what can it do on a Linux system running wine? Is Linux immune to Ransomware? Will Linux protect you from ransomware attacks? The answer is no.
South Korea-based web hosting company NAYANA became one of the latest high-profile victims of ransomware after 153 of its Linux servers were found infected with an Erebus ransomware (detected by Trend Micro as RANSOM_ELFEREBUS.A) variant. The ransomware attack affected the websites, database and multimedia files of around 3,400 businesses employing NAYANA’s service.