How to boost and increase your wireless signal strength and speed for your laptop or desktop wireless card? If you happened to own an intel PRO Wireless or any other branded wireless receiver, you have the ability to enhance your wireless signal receiving range. Based on my experience, modifying these values is not possible with a cheaper brand-less wireless adapter.
- Step 1 – Search for ‘Device Manager’
- Step 2 – Select ‘Device Manager’
- Step 3 – Under Device Manager, look for your Wireless Card (Mine is Intel, yours could be different). Double click on your Wireless card.
- Step 4 – A new window will appear, go to ‘Advanced’ tab
- Step 5 – Select ‘Roaming Aggressiveness’
- Step 6 – Under the Value, select ‘Highest’. This setting allows you to define how aggressively your wireless client roams to improve connection to an access point.
- Step 7 – Select ‘Throughput Enhancement’,
- Step 8 – Set the value to ‘enable’. Throughput Enhancement – Enhance the transmit throughput by enabling packet bursting.
When you’re done, hit ‘ok’ and save the settings. If you’re running Microsoft Windows 7, watch the video below I created.
When the Intel Throughput Enhancement feature is enabled, the wireless adapter may transmit using the Short Interframe Space (SIFS) interval between packets instead of waiting for the expiration of the Distributed Coordination Function Interframe Space (DIFS) and additional random back-off time. The shorter wait time results in better throughput of the wireless medium.
InSSIDer – Analyze the right channel for your wifi
Inssider is a must have software for those living in a dense neighborhood with lots of wireless connection. Read this article on how to choose the right channel for your router wifi.
Want faster wifi? Here are 5 weirdly easy tips
We’ve been putting our routers in the wrong place this whole time. Wifi signals are made of radio waves that have a shorter wavelength than AM radio and cell phones but longer than satellite tv. How can I make my wifi faster? There are several things you can do to make your wifi faster without paying more, and they mostly have to do with the placement of your wifi router.