How to set up offsite backup? Which is the best offsite data backup services for small business and enterprise? Amazon S3 is one of the biggest offsite auto backup and storage services, for those with bad experience and in search of alternatives, we’ve narrowed down to 10 of the best Amazon S3 alternatives.
Alternative Article ➤ 7 Free Personal Cloud Backup Storage For Small Business
Offsite vaulting, also known as Cloud Data Backup needs no explanation. While Dropbox is one of the more popular cloud syncing and backup services in the market, it is cater towards the consumer and not for businesses. They are great for sharing photos and files, syncing between devices but when it comes to duplicating and backing up SQL database or Applications, you will need an Offsite Vaulting. According to Wikipedia on Off-site data protection.
Off-site Vaulting vs Local Hard Disk Backup
The main reason for backing up files to a remote site is safety. Undeniably a local Western Digital or Seagate hard disk are cheaper and faster, the question is what if there is a fire? or what if there is a break in and all hardware are stolen? What if there is a virus attack and it destroys all the files? Not to mention riots, earthquakes, flooding, terrorism attacks and more. Offsite vaulting solves all of this problem when you have dual copies of everything in 2 different location.
In computing, off-site data protection, or vaulting, is the strategy of sending critical data out of the main location (off the main site) as part of a disaster recovery plan. Data is usually transported off-site using removable storage media such as magnetic tape or optical storage. Data can also be sent electronically via a remote backup service, which is known as electronic vaulting or e-vaulting.
- Encryption – Military grade 256-bit AES encryption.
- Zero knowledge – The user needs to manage their own encryption key or password. If they lose it, there is no way to access the data. The service provider cannot access the user’s data even if required by the government. Backup service providers often claim that no one can access the users data even though they themselves could if forced to do so, so entries claiming support of this feature should always have a supporting reference. If the backup service has a password recovery or reset mechanism that allows a user to access their data when they lose their password or key, that proves they do not have zero knowledge.
- Secure Key Management – If yes, the user holds and controls of the encryption key. If no, the service provider holds and controls the encryption key.
↓ 01 – CrashPlan
With Zero Knowledge, Secure Key, and 256-Bit Encrypted Storage
Even when you step away, CrashPlan is busy at work protecting all your important files. Music, photos and documents are all automatically, continuously protected, so you can get back to whatever life throws your way. Enjoy free backup to an external drive and any trusted, internet-connected computer. Or experience the full trifecta of fearlessness with a subscription to our cloud-based destination, CrashPlan Central. Only CrashPlan offers such comprehensive protection.
Good, Better or Best backup. Freedom built in. Only CrashPlan offers totally free local and offsite backup. A subscription to our cloud backup service gets you continuous backup, mobile file access and lots more. For the ultimate in computer backup, get all three, from the same easy application. Offsite backup doesn’t get any friendlier than CrashPlan. Back up to multiple offsite locations, such as other computers in your network of friends and family, keeping your files safe from disaster at any one location.
- Triple Destination Data Storage and Protection – Enjoy free backup to an external drive and any trusted, internet-connected computer. Or experience the full trifecta of fearlessness with a subscription to our cloud-based destination, CrashPlan Central. Only CrashPlan offers such comprehensive protection.
- Truly Unlimited Storage – Whether you require gigabytes or terabytes of online backup, a subscription to the CrashPlan Central cloud will set you free from file type and size roadblocks. Plus, we’ll never charge you extra to restore your files. They’re yours, after all.
- Stepped-up Data Security – CrashPlan subscribers can surround their digital life with 448-bit encryption, including a private key option. This rare combination of security measures creates a virtually impenetrable “force field” around your data. What’s more, we’ve taken extra steps to ensure our data centers comply with military-grade security standards and conform to industry best practices for power redundancy, cooling and fire protection.
- Your Files, Mobilized – Our free mobile app is another reason to give a CrashPlan subscription a go. Along with continuous protection of your complete digital life, you’ll enjoy ready access to all your computer files from virtually anywhere, at any time. Files at your fingertips and world at your feet—it’s go time.
- Silent and Continuous – CrashPlan is your silent computer backup partner, protecting your precious files and folders in real-time. Designed to use minimal CPU power, you won’t even know it’s running. If your backup is interrupted, or you put your computer to sleep, CrashPlan automatically resumes when your computer becomes available again.
- Deleted File Protection – The CrashPlan Central cloud is a regret-free zone. We keep your deleted files forever (unless you tell us not to), so no matter how much time passes after you trash a file, you can dig it out. And while this means a larger investment of resources on our part, if it helps reduce anxiety over accidentally trashing your data, it’s well worth it.
↓ 02 – BarracudaMSP (Intronis)
With Zero Knowledge, Configurable Secure Key, and 256-Bit Encrypted Storage
Intronis is the first and only single-source IT channel provider combining security with backup solutions to proactively and reactively protect business-critical data and operations. Powerful integrations with IT technology vendors simplify existing operations for MSP partners while maximizing efficiency and lowering operating costs. The Intronis portal-based centralized management approach simplifies the deployment and maintenance of a suite of security and BDR solutions, reducing administrative overhead and lowering total cost of ownership.
↓ 03 – Infrascale | Zero Knowledge [ Optional ] / Secure Key [ Optional ]
With Infrascale, backup and recovery is so simple, you’ll never believe you thought it had to be so complex. Infrascale is an enterprise-grade disaster recovery solution that provides rapid failover to a second site with the flexibility to boot from the appliance or cloud. Delivered as a physical or virtual appliance and includes DR software. The problem is that enterprise-class backup and disaster recovery have been prohibitively expensive, complicated, and challenging to deploy and manage, while balancing limited budgets and resources. That’s why Infrascale has developed a complete suite of solutions, spanning direct-to-cloud solutions to failover appliances that support your operations – reliably, affordably, and securely – and are super easy to manage.
- Disaster Recovery As a Service
- Ransomware Mitigation
- Backup for Servers & Applications
- Data Security & Encryption
- Laptop and Mobile Device Protection
↓ 04 – Acronis Storage
With Optional Zero Knowledge, Secure Key, and 256-Bit Encrypted Storage
Use it as back-end for applications like Acronis Files Cloud, Acronis Backup Cloud, Open-Xchange, vSphere, Hyper V, Microsoft Exchange or as shared storage for general needs like documents, graphics, video files. Software-defined Storage with Acronis CloudRAIDTM and Acronis NotaryTM with blockchain. Acronis Storage has been in production for 5+ years at Acronis’ 12 data centers world-wide, Keeping 50PB+ of physical space (32PB of logical space used for 125000+ total desktop and mobile devices ) of customer data under protection as backend for Acronis Backup Cloud, Acronis True Image, Acronis Backup 12 and Acronis Backup Advanced 11.7.
- Fast – Up to 5x faster than the competition
- Universal – Block, file, object, hot and cold data
- Safe – Acronis CloudRAIDTM and Acronis NotaryTM with blockchain data protection
- Efficient – Controllable TCO. Rapid GUI management
- Proven – More than 50 PB of customer data stored to Acronis Storage
↓ 05 – CloudBerry Lab
With Zero Knowledge, Secure Key, and 256-Bit Encrypted Storage
Cross Platform Cloud Backup built for cloud storage such as Amazon S3, Amazon Glacier, Microsoft Azure, Google Cloud Storage, and Openstack Swift. CloudBerry Managed Backup Service (MBS) is built from the CloudBerry Backup technology and designed to meet the needs of managed service providers and enterprise IT departments, providing reliable backup with central management and monitoring. CloudBerry Managed Backup is integrated with Amazon Web Services, Microsoft Azure, Google Cloud Platform and almost every S3-compatible or OpenStack-based cloud storage services.
- End-to-End Encryption – Data is encrypted with AES 256-bit strong key before leaving the computer, in transit and in the cloud.
- PSA/RMM Systems Integration – Manage your customers’ accounts, billing and ticketing from within ConnectWise and Autotask PSA systems.
- One Click Restore to Amazon EC2 – Restore a Windows Server as an Amazon EC2 instance.
- Manage and Monitor Backup Jobs – Continuously monitor backup processes on the client machines, manage backup jobs, recover data and force software upgrades from the web control panel.
↓ 06 – Jungle Disk
With Zero Knowledge, Secure Key, and 256-Bit Encrypted Storage
Jungle Disk securely backs up all your employees’ data plus your important server data — keeping it safe & easy to restore. Keep your business safe from attacks and accidents with Jungle Disk. It’s a bundle of software & services providing essential computer security including online cloud backup for workstations and servers, firewall, content filtering, virus & malware defense, plus VPN–all for an affordable monthly subscription.
- Encrypted Backups – Secure, off-site data backups with an easy to use interface and fast recovery. Laptops, Desktops, & Servers.
- Military Grade – Certified, military-grade AES-256 encryption keeps your data safe.
- Network Protection – Firewall, VPN, and ransomware shield to stop hacker attacks – backed by a $10,000+ data breach guarantee!
↓ 07 – Arcserve
Best Local Enterprise backup solutions & services with Easy, affordable and built for enterprises, Arcserve’s cloud-first business continuity solutions will allow your company to recover in minutes, regardless of the failure, disaster or loss. Our award-winning enterprise cloud backup and restore solution is optimized for datasets up to 500 TB. Get reliable data protection for all your physical and virtual systems, so you can always recover what you need fast from and to anywhere. Zetta Disaster Recovery – Push button failover protection for all of your business-critical data & applications. If disaster strikes, you can have your entire IT environment operational in Zetta’s secure cloud in less than five minutes. Disaster recovery priced significantly lower than traditional providers.
- Native file system replication to the cloud
- Back up full server images directly to the cloud without an appliance or local staging drive
- Software licenses for unlimited servers and endpoints
- Remote backup service and online storage
- Web-based or mounted drive for instant recovery
- Customizable snapshot-enabled version history
- Automated daily backups to online storage
- Leverage existing storage for local backups
↓ 08 – Carbonite
Simple Offsite Backup For Business – All it takes is simple mistake or malicious ransomware virus and you could lose all the files on your computer forever. But not if you have backup. Carbonite Computer Backup gives you peace of mind knowing your files and photos are backed up safely to the cloud. Carbonite for office gives small businesses all the tools they need to protect computers and servers, without complexity or overkill. Works great on Microsoft’s Windows 10 and Apple’s macOS.
- Databases & live applications backup for Microsoft SQL Server 2014, 2012, 2008, 2005 and 2000, Windows NTFS & ReFS files and folders.
- Your files are encrypted using 128-bit Blowfish encryption
↓ 09 – Data Deposit Box
Automatic Cloud Backup For Small Business. Let’s face it. Your data IS your business and you want protection that’s built with your needs in mind. Too many SMBs do not have a proper data protection solution or use complicated systems designed for large enterprises, which can put their data and profits at risk. That’s why Data Deposit Box is designed specifically for SMBs.
- Unlimited Server, PC & Mac backup
- Supports NAS devices and ext. hard drives
- Backup Exchange, Oracle, SQL, MySQL, Sharepoint & more
- Unlimited FREE local storage
- Keep an unlimited amount of generations
- Vmware file level or snapshot backup
- Backup networked machines
↓ 10 – Mozy
Military Grade Security Encrypted Backup by MozyEnterprise offers seamlessly protects endpoints and remote offices, helps increase workforce productivity with file sync and mobile access, and keeps IT in control of corporate data. Our proven cloud backup solution for desktops, laptops, and small servers gives you more complete data protection for users on any network, while the powerful administrative console lets you manage it all from anywhere. What does this mean for you? It means you can fry the bigger fish.
- All files are first secured with a personal 256-bit AES or Mozy-managed 448-bit Blowfish encryption key
- MozyPro servers are located in carefully chosen world-class data centers that are protected by gated perimeter access, 24x7x365 onsite staffed security and technicians, electronic card key access, and strategically placed security cameras inside and outside the building.
↓ 11 – KeepVault Pro
The Best Cloud And Local Backup Protection. Unfortunately, your computer is vulnerable. Hard drive failure, viruses, theft, natural disasters, etc. occur all the time. Roughly 1 in 10 hard drives fail each year. Lost data is gone forever. KeepVault is like insurance for your data, protecting your files the moment they change, to both a local backup drive and our secure online backup servers! You can access and restore your files any time from any computer.
- Ultra secure end-to-end 256bit encryption
- backup Windows Server Operating Systems
- Unlimited number of devices
↓ 12 – Elephant Drive
Beyond Cloud & Sync Offsite Backup. ElephantDrive is committed to providing individuals and businesses simple but powerful tools for protecting and accessing their data. We want ordinary people to enjoy the peace of mind that comes from the type of enterprise-class backup, storage, and data management that has historically only been available to big corporations, and the convenience of the latest and greatest web-based solutions.
- Safe and Secure – Data is always encrypted with AES-256 bit encryption before it even leaves your device! Transfer of the already encrypted data is also done using a 128 bit SSL secured channel.
- Direct backup from NAS – Back up data directly from your NAS to the ElephantDrive cloud. ElephantDrive is natively integrated with most leading NAS devices (NETGEAR, Drobo, QNAP, Western Digital, Thecus, Synology). No need for mapping the NAS to your computer!
↓ 13 – Barracuda Backup Service
The Barracuda Backup is a Cloud Networks Backup, it is also affordable, integrated local and offsite data backup and disaster recovery solution. The Barracuda Backup combines an onsite appliance with a flexible monthly, quarterly or yearly subscription that replicates data offsite. Combining local and offsite storage provides the best of both worlds – onsite backups for the fastest restore times and secure, offsite storage for disaster recovery.
- Barracuda Backup Agent – Windows File System & System State, Bare Metal Recovery, Microsoft Applications (Exchange, SQL & SharePoint), Linux
- Network Backups Included – NAS, SAN, Unix, Linux, Mac OS X
- Virtual Environments – VMware vSphere, Microsoft Hyper-V
- Offsite Vaulting – Vault aged data offsite to Barracuda Cloud Storage and store up to 30-days of revisions on local cache
↓ 14 – SpiderOak
We believe our computers and phones should not make us vulnerable, but instead be safe extensions of ourselves and our work. That’s why we’ve been building, secure-by-default products for the past 11 years. We are working to create a world where privacy is the norm, end-to-end encryption is the standard, and security and usability are synonymous.
Ransomware Protection & Disaster Recovery for Your Sensitive Data – Scalable, deployable & flexible hosting. Prevent data loss & increase organizational security with No Knowledge, end-to-end encrypted endpoint backup. You manage the keys. Enterprise & LDAP ready.
↓ 15 – BackBlaze
Cloud storage that’s astonishingly easy and low-cost. 250 million GB stored and 20 billion files recovered. Never lose a file again. Backup an unlimited amount of data. Unlimited bandwidth. Unlimited file size. You can download a free restore or have a USB hard drive or USB key Fedex to you. Backblaze is just $5/month. The same award winning backup service is available to business for the price of $50/year/computer. Unlimited Data. No throtteling. Backup all your companies laptop and desktop computers to the cloud.
- Unlimited Data Backup
- Mac or PC – Laptop or Desktop. No caps, no throttling, and simple pricing.
- Free Hard Drive Restore
- We’ll send you a hard drive with your data anywhere in the world, send it back for a full refund.
- Easy To Use Web Interface
- Users can manage their own data. Admins can act on a user’s behalf as well as see alerts.
There are many online backup services, and like all things, they are not carved out to be the same. Apart from pricing, there are other features that most users overlooked. When it comes to backing up sensitive data, 3 things comes into play – Encryption, Zero Knowledge and Secure Key Management. These 3 features are important for storing sensitive information, from banking to user’s private data, from medical records to tax documents. 43% of companies with a major data loss go out of business because they got sued for data breach and data loss or they simply couldn’t continue the business without the stolen / corrupted data.
Perhaps the best backup policy is to subscribe to an online offsite backup storage and set up your own in-house NAS backup storage system. With dual backups, you are more secure, unless the backup storage is corrupted or damaged due to virus and was synced to the online storage. Always subscribe to an Antivirus service. Here are 6 of the best Amazon S3 Cloud Storage alternatives for small business and enterprise.
Comparison of Online Backup Services
Data Deposit Box
|Maximum file size||No Limit||4GB||5GB||No Limit||500GB||n/a||n/a|
|Unlimited MB Plan||No||No||Yes||No||No||No||No|
How To Choose An Enterprise Backup Solution?
While there are many different options and ways to backup and recover your data, we believe an enterprise backup appliance rather than a collection of software and hardware, or a “bundle”, ma be the best solution for your business. With so many options, though, how do you know if you’re choosing the right one?