There are various methods in sandboxing a Windows System, the restore point method is useful for testing malwares and new softwares, the reboot to restore feature is useful for public computers in libraries, universities, schools, cybercafes and more, simply reboot to restore Windows to the configuration you setup. Always remember to login as admin and perform updates to Microsoft Windows and other softwares.
Every Windows since Windows 7 comes with a ‘Restore Point’, however, I find it not reliable, more often than not, it fails to restore to the previous point. I have yet to test the reliability on Windows 10. Just search for Create Restore Point in the search bar for this feature.
↓ 01 – Toolwiz Time Freeze | Free | Create Restore Points
Toolwiz Time Freeze is an easy and effective Instant system restore software to keep your system safe and protect your computer from unwanted changes. Turnning on the Time Freeze mode, the whole system is running in the “sandbox”. Only the changes to the files in the exclusion list will be saved.
Toolwiz Time Freeze is a must have for anyone who doesn’t want to make any unwanted changes to the system. No matter what changes are made, no matter what happens, a simple restart will return things to the way they were. Nothing bad can happen to your PC while Toolwiz Time Freeze is up and running. Modifications made to the settings will be undone, files downloaded from the web will be removed, and other unwanted changes will all be undone when you restart your PC. It puts everything on ice so that no unwanted changes can be performed on your PC. You can enter the freeze mode with a simple click and quit the freeze mode with a simple restart or shut down.
- Restore & Recovery – No matter what changes are made, no matter what happens, a simple restart will return things to the way they were. Modifications made to the settings can be undone, files downloaded from the web can be removed, and other unwanted changes will all can be undone when you restart your PC.
- Operating System Support – Run multiple operation systems (real&virtual systems) at the same time on the same PC without reboot and easily switch between them to optimize your PC resources and improve efficiency.
↓ 02 – Reboot Restore Rx | Freemium | Reboot To Restore Everytime
Reboot Restore Rx prevents any changes made on your drive(s) by restoring a saved baseline every time the PC boots up. It is designed for small public access computing environments such as classrooms, libraries, kiosks, and internet cafes. Even when users download files, viruses, malware, or even try to delete registry keys, Reboot Restore Rx will restore the PC back to your desired state.
- Reboot on Restore – Instantly reset to the baseline on startup or hard reset.
- Reduce Maintenance Cost – Drastically reduces computer maintenance, and can be used to protect tier one public access computing environments
↓ 03 – RollBack Rx Home Edition | Freemium | Create Restore Points
RollBack Rx Home Edition is a FREE instant time machine for your Windows workstation. It is a comprehensive Windows System Restore solution that empowers users and IT administrators to easily restore their PCs to any previous state within seconds. RollBack Home Edition helps users better manage and lockdown Windows based PCs. Works great on Microsoft Windows 10.
- Instant Restore – Restore the system to any snapshot within seconds.
- Disaster Recovery – Restore files and folders from any snapshot or crashed system state.
- Instant Snapshots – Take a snapshot of the system within seconds (no reboot required)
↓ 04 – Steadier State | Free | Reboot To Restore Everytime
Steadier State is the fastest and easiest way to restore Windows to an earlier snapshot. Each user creates files and installs programs on C:\, the PC’s only hard drive. Everything that each user does affects all future users. Steadier State freezes the computer as an image and creates a snapshot of the current activity as a virtual C:\. Restarting gives the option to roll back or keep the new snapshot.
- No more time wasted trying to remove difficult viruses
- Give every patron a clean system every time
- Perfect for lab environments where it’s vital to have identical computers for each student
- Give students ability to configure and learn from messing up a computer without costly downtime
- Quickly reset computers to clean state in-between class periods
↓ 05 – BitBox | Free | Browser Sandboxing
BitBox is the virtual surf environment “Browser in the Box” has initially been developed by Sirrix on behalf of the German Federal Office for Information Security for use by all federal authorities. Now the solution is open for anyone and enables users to surf the Internet with confidence – even when using most modern and comfortable web technologies without limitation despite otherwise usual advice.
On the basis of a “Browser-in-the-Box” concept a virtual machine is provided with a reduced operating system and a web browser encapsulated therein. Malware cannot thus penetrate the host operating system; a potential damage in the separated virtual machine will vanish with each start of the browser by returning to a certified starting point. All of that is fully transparent to the user.