What is phishing attacks? Phishing attacks are techniques used by cyber-criminals to con users or employees into revealing sensitive information or installing malware by way of electronic communication, usually via emails or by stealing your social media password and paypal accounts. Phishing scams are a growing threat on the Internet. By being aware of the scam, — you can feel confident in working with companies online.
Related Article 2019 ➤ 5 Freeware To Remove Unwanted Browser Toolbars On Chrome And Firefox
Which is a way to protect against phishing attacks? How to prevent phishing? To be safe, never click on any suspicious links via emails, especially those involved banking or online transaction. For those with elderly people within the household and uses a computer, it is always advisable to use a security browser extension. Here are 6 browser addons that filters out phishing scam websites.
↓ 01 – Windows Defender Browser Protection | Chrome
The Windows Defender Browser Protection extension for Google Chrome allows you to add an additional layer of protection when browsing online, powered by the same trusted intelligence found in Microsoft Edge. The extension alerts you about known malicious links, and gives you a clear path back to safety.
If you click a malicious link in an email or navigate to a site designed to trick you into disclosing financial, personal or other sensitive information, or a website that hosts malware, Windows Defender Browser Protection will check it against a constantly updated list of malicious URLs known to Microsoft.
↓ 02 – Avira Browser Safety | Chrome | Firefox
Confidently search the web. Avira SafeSearch Plus flags infected sites in your search results. From now on, know before you go! Blocks harmful sites, protects your privacy and finds deals while you shop.
- Browse safely online – Poisoned links and phishing webpages are blocked – so you’ll know every website you visit is safe!
- Keep your navigation private – Blocks browser trackers, which prevents thousands of ad networks from monitoring what you search and shop for.
- Block Potentially Unwanted Applications – Notifies you when clicking on software that contains a potentially unwanted application, and offers you your desired software from a secure website.
↓ 03 – Bitdefender TrafficLight | Chrome | Firefox | Safari
Bitdefender TrafficLight is the best way to a completely secure Web browsing experience. It is a free cross-browser add-on that intercepts, processes, and filters all Web traffic, blocking any malicious content and taking browser security to new levels.
- Superior protection against phishing attacks and malware – Never worry about suspicious websites again! TrafficLight examines and blocks the pages you visit for malware and phishing attempts each and every time you access them.
- Search and Social-Safe (including on Facebook and Twitter) – With Bitdefender TrafficLight, you will be always informed about malware and fraudulent websites within your search results. It also detects and blocks suspicious links on your Facebook wall and Twitter feed.
- Identifies trackers that report on your browsing behavior – Some website pages may track and analyze your browsing behavior. Bitdefender TrafficLight shows you which pages intercept this type of code snippets that are included in website pages, and lists them.
Browse without worry or fear with Avast in your corner: we’ll check every site you visit, from Facebook to your bank, to ensure nothing puts you or your data at risk. We stop phishing attacks, show user reviews, and warn you if a site is deemed untrustworthy by our community of 400 million. Avast Browser Security and Web Reputation Plugin. Offering protection against known phishing and malware sites, improving your browsing overall browsing experience with crowd sourced web reputation rating.
↓ 05 – McAfee SECURE Safe Browsing | Chrome
Search and browse safer online. Stay on safe sites. Avoid the bad ones. This plugin is provided by TrustedSite, operators of the McAfee SECURE service.
- Quickly check if a site is free from malware and phishing attacks, and has a valid SSL certificate
- Verifies if you’re on a McAfee SECURE certified site
- Lets you see TrustedSite ratings and reviews for the site you’re on
↓ 06 – Panda Safe Web | Chrome | Firefox
Panda Safe Web is the best tool to browse the Internet safely and quickly, improving your Web browser’s performance.
- Safer browsing – Panda Safe Web provides instant information about the pages you are about to visit, automatically blocking malicious or dangerous sites.
- Protect your browsing data – Panda Safe Web protects the privacy of your Web searches by detecting and blocking access to tracking sites, so you can stop companies from tracking your Internet activities (visits, downloads or purchases).
- Search safely online – Panda Safe Web indicates the security level of your search results. Find out at a glance which websites are safe to click on.
↓ 07 – Ad-Aware Security Toolbar | [ Discontinued ]
Ad-Aware Security Toolbar protects you while you browse the web. Every URL is carefully scanned in real-time against a constantly updated list of suspected malware and phishing sites. If you click on a dangerous link while browsing the web or while reading an e-mail, Ad-Aware Security Toolbar will immediately warn you of the site’s risk status.
- Clear Private Data – Quickly delete your browser’s temporary files, cookies, history, forms and passwords to ensure privacy and security as you’re surfing the web.
- Browser Cleaner – Remove unwanted toolbars from your browser. This simple and fast feature will unclutter your browsers of those unwanted add-ons.
- Safe Web Search – Easy and safe access to Google-powered search to surf the web, find images, news articles, videos and more.
↓ 08 – AVG Safer Browsing | [ Discontinued ]
Be safe. Be in control. Free yourself of hidden threats & trackers. Simply download this FREE browser add-on now to automatically add it to your favorite browser for more secure, private browsing. Works great on Microsoft Windows 10.
- Surf safer – Site Safety gives you clear safety ratings for the websites you visit, and shows you which search results are safe to click.
- Take back control of your privacy – Do Not Track shows you which websites are collecting data on your online activities and allows you to block or allow them.
- Clean your tracks – Browser Cleaner protects your privacy by deleting all of your browsing history and cookies with a single click.
↓ 09 – F-Secure Search | [ Discontinued ]
The best combination of search results, safety and privacy. Online criminals are clever. To access your private information and your financial data without you noticing, they try to lure you to sites that contain malware. Just landing on the wrong website may be enough. With F‑Secure Search, your search results are pre-screened for sites that try to violate your privacy or harm your computer.
- Secure results – F-Secure Search runs a security check for each search result and gives it a safety rating. When you use F-Secure Search, all communication between you and F-Secure is encrypted, leaving no room for snooping.
- Peace of mind – F-Secure Search uses Google, providing you the best search results in a safe manner. Adult content is automatically blocked from search results, giving you peace of mind when your children are using F-Secure Search.
- Easy access – You don’t need to install any additional software on your PC or Mac. Just go to search.f-secure.com and start using it today. Best of all, it’s free! You can also use F-Secure Search as the default search engine in your browser.
- Safety rating – F-Secure Search checks for known harmful sites that may be listed in your search results. Each link is clearly marked with a safety rating, letting you know which sites are safe to visit and which to avoid even before you click a link.
What Is Phishing Attacks?
Phishing Attacks is one of the biggest threat when it comes to online banking and transaction, basically what these hackers do it they will hijack a website and make it look similar to the original bank’s website, from there, they will email you an ‘urgent’ message telling you to login to the so called ‘fake website’ because failing to do so will cause it to be deactivated. Once you key in your username and password, you’ve essentially send your information to their server.