For those that are still using Microsoft Office 2000 and 2003, Microsoft Office Compatibility Pack for Word, Excel, and PowerPoint File Formats is a tiny addon that enables your Office Word to save and edit files in DocX format. As for Microsoft Office 2007, it comes bundled with the service pack.
Install this compatibility pack if you would like to open, edit, and save documents, workbooks, and presentations that were created in the newer versions of Word, Excel, and PowerPoint. Scroll down to see instructions and system requirements.
Supported Operating System
- Windows 2000 Service Pack 4
- Windows Server 2003
- Windows Vista
- Windows Vista Service Pack 1
- Windows XP Service Pack 1
- Windows XP Service Pack 2
- Windows XP Service Pack 3
- Windows 7
- Windows Server 2008
Recommended Microsoft Office programs
- Microsoft Word 2000 with Service Pack 3
- Microsoft Excel 2000 with Service Pack 3
- Microsoft PowerPoint 2000 with Service Pack 3
- Microsoft Word 2002 with Service Pack 3
- Microsoft Excel 2002 with Service Pack 3
- Microsoft PowerPoint 2002 with Service Pack 3
- Microsoft Office Word 2003 with at least Service Pack 3
- Microsoft Office Excel 2003 with at least Service Pack 3
- Microsoft Office PowerPoint 2003 with at least Service Pack 3
- Microsoft Office Word Viewer 2003
- Microsoft Office Excel Viewer 2003
- Microsoft Office PowerPoint Viewer 2003
With FileFormatConverters.exe by Microsoft, not only can you read Microsoft Office Word 2007 format with Microsoft Office 2003, you can open, edit, and save documents, workbooks, and presentations in the file formats new to Microsoft Office Word, Excel, and PowerPoint 2007.
Before installing the software, please ensure your system and Microsoft Office is up to date by installing all High-Priority/Required updates on Microsoft Update. Download Microsoft Office Compatibility Pack for Word, Excel, and PowerPoint 2007 File Formats.
If you are using a Mac, get the Microsoft Office Open XML File Format Converter for Mac – this enables you to convert ‘docx’ format to ‘rtf’ format which is compatible with the Office for Mac.
Microsoft Office 365 vs Google Docs App
Alternatively, Google Docs is an online solution for creating and editing documents. The only drawback is you will not be able to access your files if there is no internet connection. Since it is free, technically speaking it is, there isn’t much to complain about. The other drawback is all files are stored in the cloud, thus making it almost impossible for a corporate to store sensitive information and documents online.