Here is a simple (simple for professional) tutorial on how to remove virus, Trojan, and worm without installing an antivirus software onto Microsoft Windows. These simple software are known as bootable antivirus because they are useful when your system is not boot-able. A must have tool if you suspected there is a deeply embedded virus in your root system that is stealing your personal information such as credit card numbers.
How to Use these Tools
First, you’ll need another computer to download the free software, once you are done, install it onto a USB thumbdrive. Make sure your desktop or laptop is set to first boot via USB and not the hard disk. Restart your computer and let the software perform the magic. Alternatively, you can boot via F8 into safe mode to run the portable antivirus.
↓ 01 – Norton Bootable Recovery Tool | Windows | 2.9MB
Sometimes computers become so infected with threats that are deeply buried in the computer’s operating system that special tools are required to remove them. That’s where Norton Rescue Tools can help. Norton Bootable Recovery Tool and Norton Power Eraser are designed to target and eliminate these hard-to-remove threats and unique types of crimeware.
Norton Power Eraser eliminates deeply embedded and difficult to remove crimeware that traditional virus scanning doesn’t always detect. It fix even the most severely infected computers with Norton Rescue Tools. Sometimes computers become so infected with threats that are deeply buried in the computer’s operating system that special tools are required to remove them. That’s where Norton Rescue Tools can help. Norton Bootable Recovery Tool and Norton Power Eraser are designed to target and eliminate these hard-to-remove threats and unique types of crimeware.
↓ 02 – Kaspersky Rescue Disk | Windows | 322MB
Kaspersky Rescue Disk 10 is designed to scan, disinfect and restore infected operating systems. It should be used when it is impossible to boot the operating system. Kaspersky Rescue Disk 10 is designed to scan and disinfect x86 and x64-compatible computers that have been infected. The application should be used when the infection is so severe that it is impossible to disinfect the computer using anti-virus applications or malware removal utilities (such as Kaspersky Virus Removal Tool) running under the operating system.
In this case, disinfection is more efficient because malware programs do not gain control when the operating system is being loaded. In the emergency repair mode, you can only start objects scan tasks, update databases roll back updates and view statistics. Kaspersky Rescue Disk 10 allows performing the following actions:
Configure objects scan settings:
- change security level
- change actions to be performed on detected objects
- create a scan scope
- change types of objects to be scanned
- limit scan time
- configure scan of compound files
- change a scan method
- set default settings
Configure databases update settings:
- select an update source
- specify proxy-server settings
- specify regional settings
- roll back to previous databases
Configure additional settings:
- select detection of specific threat types
- create a trusted zone
- configure notifications settings
- specify time of storing reports
- specify time of storing Quarantine and Backup objects
Create a report on scan and update tasks.
View statistics about applican’s functioning.
↓ 03 – Hiren’s BootCD 15 | Bootable | 592MB
This bootable DVD disk comes with many software and security software is one of them. It comes loaded with Avira AntiVir Personal, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, Remove Fake Antivirus, RootkitRevealer, Spybot – Search & Destroy, ClamWin Free Antivirus and more. I don’t recommend using this unless both Norton and Kaspersky failed in detecting and removing the malware.
- Avira AntiVir Personal – Free anti-virus and anti-spyware on-demand scanner, detects and removes more than 50000 viruses and trojans.
- ClamWin Free Antivirus – A free antivirus, GNU GPL Open Source Virus Scanner.
- ComboFix – Designed to cleanup malware infections and restore settings modified by malware.
- Dr.Web CureIt! Antivirus – Free standalone anti-virus and anti-spyware on-demand scanner (downloadable).
- GMER – Hidden services, hidden registry, hidden file scanner, Rootkit Detector and Remover.
- Malwarebytes Anti-Malware – Anti-malware application that can thoroughly remove even the most advanced malware.
- Remove Fake Antivirus – Tool to remove virus/malware which disguises itself to be an antivirus and produces fake alert/warnings and urge you to purchase a useless copy of the fake antivirus.
- RootkitRevealer – Rootkit Revealer is an advanced patent-pending root kit detection utility.
- Spybot – Search & Destroy – Application to scan for spyware, adware, hijackers and other malicious software.
- SuperAntispyware – Remove Adware, Malware, Parasites, Rootkits, Spyware, Trojan, and Worms (downloadable).
- TDSSKiller – Remove malware belonging to the family Rootkit.Win32.TDSS aka Tidserv, TDSServ and Alureon.
Bootable vs Portable Antivirus
Having said that, if your system is bootable but badly infected, you will love these 8 free portable antivirus. Unlike bootable antivirus, these portable antivirus does not create a bootable USB flash drive, it is meant for system that is infected yet bootable. Some people do use it for second opinions.
Symantec Project Honeystick
Symantec Canada “lost” 60 smartphones across the country in Vancouver, Calgary, Toronto, Ottawa, Montreal and Halifax. Then it tracked what happened to them. Find out the results at go.symantec.com/HoneyStickCanada