There are literally hundreds of DVD compression software in the market but which is the best among all? Before you begin your search for DVD compression software, have you ever wonder how did those guys compress a DVD from a 4.5GB to fit perfectly onto a 700MB CD?
See Also ➤ 16 Creative CD, DVD, and Blu-Ray Disc Design
The answer is none other than HandBrake, HandBrake is a tool for converting video from nearly any format to a selection of modern, widely supported codecs. It is a DVD / Blu-ray compression tool that is easy to use, basically it has all the function other DVD compression software provide, but what makes HandBrake stands out is the ability to output the video to the desire size – 700MB, fits perfectly in a CD for backup.
- Convert DVD to DivX or other AVI formats
- Convert DVD to WMV
- Convert DVD to mp4 (iPod and PSP formats)
- Convert DVD to VCD or SVCD
- Copy DVD movie to hard drive without any loss of quality
- Remove all the restrictions of DVD (CSS, Region, RCE, Sony ARccOS, PuppetLock)
- Copy main movie only or split DVD-9 into 2 DVD-5
- Compress DVD to fit on a 4.7 GB disc
- Very easy to use, just by one click
- High ripping speed and wonderful output quality
Outputs File Formats:
- File Containers: .MP4(.M4V) and .MKV
- Video Encoders: H.264(x264), MPEG-4 and MPEG-2 (libav), and Theora(libtheora)
- Audio Encoders: AAC, CoreAudio AAC/HE-AAC (OS X Only), MP3, Flac, AC3, or Vorbis
- Audio Pass-thru: AC-3, DTS, DTS-HD, AAC and MP3 tracks
Reasons you’ll love HandBrake:
- Convert video from nearly any format
- Free and Open Source
- Multi-Platform (Windows, Mac and Linux)
Important! Download Version 0.9.5
To convert and compress a video to a targeted size, only version 0.9.5 has this feature. HandBrake decided to remove the targeted feature, the reason is the quality of the video. To download previous version of HandBrake, visit the official Nightly Builds page.