Bitcoin is different from what you know and use every day. Before you start using Bitcoin for any serious transaction, be sure to read what you need to know and take appropriate steps to secure your wallet. Always remember that it is your responsibility to choose your wallet carefully and adopt good practices in order to protect your money. A Bitcoin wallet is a collection of private keys but may also refer to client software used to manage those keys and to make transactions on the Bitcoin network.
Related Article 2019 ➤ 6 Hack Proof Hardware Bitcoin Wallet With PIN And Encryption Password
↓ 01 – BitCoin Core | Windows | macOS | Linux | Ubuntu
Bitcoin Core is programmed to decide which block chain contains valid transactions. The users of Bitcoin Core only accept transactions for that block chain, making it the Bitcoin block chain that everyone else wants to use. It is these users who keep Bitcoin decentralized. They individually run their own Bitcoin Core full nodes, and each of those full nodes separately follows the exact same rules to decide which block chain is valid.
- Full Validation – Bitcoin Core ensures every block and transaction it accepts is valid, increasing not only your security but also helping prevent miners and banks from taking control of Bitcoin.
- Better Privacy – Bitcoin Core provides exclusive privacy features that can make it hard for anyone to link you to your transactions.
- Better Security Has Costs – Bitcoin Core uses more resources than other wallets, but it’s still convenient to run on most computers and Internet connections.
- A Better User Interface – Bitcoin Core wallet has features most other wallets don’t have. But if you don’t need them, you can use several other wallets on top of Bitcoin Core without losing Bitcoin Core’s security and privacy benefits.
- Support The Network – Bitcoin Core helps support other peers. This isn’t as useful as helping to keep Bitcoin decentralized, but it’s an easy way for broadband users to contribute to less well-connected users.
↓ 02 – MultiBit [ Discontinued ] | Windows | macOS | Linux
MultiBit makes setting up your bitcoin wallet fast and easy. After installation, a wizard guides you through the process of creating your wallet and its backup. In no time at all you will be ready to participate in the Bitcoin economy. You control your wallet and your funds: they reside encrypted on your computer and never with a 3rd party.
Using MultiBit with KeepKey adds an extra layer of security for your bitcoins. KeepKey is a USB device that stores and secures your bitcoins. When you entrust KeepKey with your money, each and every bitcoin transaction you make must be reviewed and approved via it’s OLED display and confirmation button. It now becomes nearly impossible for virtual attackers like malware or viruses to steal your valuable bitcoins.
↓ 03 – Armory | Windows | macOS | Linux | Raspberry Pi
Armory is the most secure and full featured solution available for users and institutions to generate and store Bitcoin private keys. This means users never have to trust the Armory team. Satoshi would be proud! Users are empowered with multiple encrypted Bitcoin wallets and permanent one-time ‘paper backups’. Armory pioneered cold storage and distributed multi-signature. Bitcoin cold storage is a system for securely storing Bitcoins on a completely air-gapped offline computer.
The Armory team is highly experienced in cryptography and private key ceremonies. For example, they have collaborated with Verisign on developing an innovative Identity Verification Specification for establishing trust on the Internet. At Armory, we strive to constantly improve the best Bitcoin wallet with new security features.
↓ 04 – Mycelium Wallet | Android | iOS
With the Mycelium Bitcoin Wallet you can send and receive Bitcoins using your mobile phone. The unparalleled cold storage functionality allows you to 100% secure your funds until you are ready to spend them, works for your paper wallets, private keys, master seeds:
- 100% control over your private keys, they never leave your device unless you export them
- No blockchain download, install and run in seconds
- HD enabled – manage multiple accounts and never reuse addresses (BIP32, BIP44)
- Ultra fast connection to the Bitcoin network through our super nodes
- Watch-only addresses & private key import for secure cold-storage integration
- Secure your wallet with a PIN
- Compatible with other bitcoin services through bitcoin: uri handling
- Support for BIP38 Keys
- Find other people to trade Bitcoins with in person using our Local Trader feature.
↓ 05 – Wirex | Android | iOS
Now everyone can get the best out of both digital and traditional money, the easy way! Get online banking account, worldwide-issued bitcoin debit cards, cheap money transfer and more in one place.
- Secure and convenient – Individual cloud wallet linked to your Wirex debit card and secured with multi-signature and two-step authentication.
- Easy access – Manage all your accounts, currencies, past transactions, and debit cards from your smartphone, 24/7.
- Total freedom – Send and receive money from 130+ countries, with virtually no limits. Switch between traditional and digital currencies with a tap.
↓ 06 – Xapo | Android | iOS
The Xapo Wallet provides a way to manage your funds when you want and where you want. All it takes is the click of a button, the sending of an email or the swipe of your Xapo Debit Card. The Xapo iOS App is a mobile bitcoin wallet and vault that combines convenience and industry-leading security for managing your bitcoins and sending money to friends or family. Simply scan a QR code or enter an email address, name or wallet/vault address to instantly send money anywhere in the world.
All transactions are synced across all of your devices in real time and are protected by an intense, bank-level security protocol that was recently called the “Fort Knox of bitcoin storage” by the Wall Street Journal.
- Xapo Bitcoin Wallet: functions just like a checking account for managing daily spending
- Xapo Bitcoin Vault: The only fully insured bitcoin storage solution on the market
- Send and receive bitcoins in two clicks
- Two factor authentication
- Earn bits by sharing Xapo on your social networks
- Check the price of bitcoin and other stats in real time
- Zero network transaction fees
↓ 07 – BlockChain | Windows | macOS | Android | iOS
Why use Blockchain? We are not a bank. We cannot view your balance, see your transactions or make payments on your behalf. You retain complete ownership of your money.
- Simple – We make using Bitcoin safe, simple, and fun. You can instantly transact with anyone in the world.
- Cross-platform – Desktop, iOS and Android apps allow you to access your Bitcoin wallet from any device, anytime, anywhere.
- Global – 20+ currency conversion rates, including JPY, RUB, SGD, USD, CNY, EUR, GDP, and many more. 25+ languages
- Safe & Secure – Our step-by-step Security Center helps you backup your funds, and protect them from unauthorized access.
- Supported – Should you need help, our team will be there for you.
- Sophisticated – Hierarchical deterministic addresses. Dynamic transaction fees. Monitoring and spending from Watch Only addresses.
↓ 08 – BitGo | Windows | macOS | Android | iOS
Typical Bitcoin wallets have a single private key, making your Bitcoin susceptible to theft and loss. Our multi-signature technology issues three keys for your wallet, two of which are required to send Bitcoin. Unlike most other Bitcoin companies, BitGo doesn’t have the ability to access your Bitcoin. We only hold one key, which isn’t sufficient to transact on your behalf.
You control a second key, and a third key is stored offline as a backup. If a single key is compromised, your Bitcoin can’t be stolen. This makes our wallet virtually hack proof. BitGo requires two-factor authentication and uses enterprise-grade security measures to ensure full protection of your Bitcoin. Read more technical details in the whitepaper authored by BitGo’s CEO about how we use P2SH (BIP 16) to create a multi-signature wallet. A diagram from the whitepaper comparing Bitcoin wallet architectures can be seen below.
↓ 09 – GreenAddress | Android | iOS
The safer Bitcoin wallet that puts you in control. We don’t make you choose between security and convenience. And we don’t compromise your privacy. Our per-transaction two factor authentication, multi-signature and deterministic wallet allow you unprecedented control over your transactions. And, we never store your private keys, not even encrypted. At the same time we make it trivial to view and transfer your funds. Take control of your future now, at GreenAddress.
↓ 10 – CoinBase | Windows | macOS | Android | iOS
Coinbase is the world’s most popular way to buy and sell bitcoin and ethereum. It is also the world’s most popular bitcoin and ethereum wallet. They make it easy to securely buy, use, store, and accept bitcoin, and ethereum. Coinbase for iOS has been designed from the ground up to to provide the best possible digital money experience on mobile. Additional features include:
- Send and request bitcoin and ether
- Track bitcoin and ether price anywhere with bitcoin price charts, bitcoin price ticker, and price alerts
- Check balance, transaction history and transaction details for all your accounts in a glance
- Send bitcoin, and ether via email, QR code, with zero transaction fees (Terms and condition applies, not really zero.)
- Bank level security means your bitcoins and ether are safe
- Set a passcode to protect the app
- Remotely disable your phone’s access if it is lost or stolen
- Realtime and historical bitcoin and ether price charts