Where to purchase free affordable 256 bit encrypted SSL certificate? Before you upgrade your http to https, you need to know that technically https is faster than http, however, without root access to the server, you will not have the ability to enable OCSP Stapling, Disable the less secure SSL, enable ssl accelerator, and uses the http/2 protocol if it is not available. If you are running your site on a shared hosting, forget about https, your site will be slower than http.
Alternative Article ➤ 10 Best Free WordPress Hosting With Own Domain And Secure Security
Having said that, if you have a redundant domain lying around and would love to experiment with SSL certification, here are 5 of the best free, inexpensive and trusted SSL certificate. How do I get an SSL certificate? To enable HTTPS on your website, you need to generate a free secure certificate (a type of file) from these Certificate Authority (CA) then validate it.
↓ 01 – Let’s Encrypt [ The Best ]
Let’s Encrypt is a free, automated, and open certificate authority brought to you by the non-profit Internet Security Research Group (ISRG). Anyone who has gone through the trouble of setting up a secure website knows what a hassle getting and maintaining a certificate can be. Let’s Encrypt automates away the pain and lets site operators turn on and manage HTTPS with simple commands. No validation emails, no complicated configuration editing, no expired certificates breaking your website. And of course, because Let’s Encrypt provides certificates for free, no need to arrange payment. The key principles behind Let’s Encrypt are:
- Free: Anyone who owns a domain name can use Let’s Encrypt to obtain a trusted certificate at zero cost.
- Automatic: Software running on a web server can interact with Let’s Encrypt to painlessly obtain a certificate, securely configure it for use, and automatically take care of renewal.
- Secure: Let’s Encrypt will serve as a platform for advancing TLS security best practices, both on the CA side and by helping site operators properly secure their servers.
- Transparent: All certificates issued or revoked will be publicly recorded and available for anyone to inspect.
- Open: The automatic issuance and renewal protocol will be published as an open standard that others can adopt.
- Cooperative: Much like the underlying Internet protocols themselves, Let’s Encrypt is a joint effort to benefit the community, beyond the control of any one organization.
↓ 02 – ZeroSSL | Uses Let’s Encrypt Certificates
The ZeroSSL Free SSL Certificate Wizard is a tool that helps you to obtain SSL certificates for your website. They are issued by Let’s Encrypt Certificate Authority and they are absolutely free. The renewals are also free and unlimited. Issued certificates are supported by all major browsers and operating systems.
The certificates are initially valid for 90 days and then can be renewed again and again (also at no cost). Please consider entering your email when using our FREE SSL Certificate Wizard for the first time and registering a new key – that will give you a way to restore your key if you lose access and will provide notifications from Let’s Encrypt about certificate expirations.
↓ 03 – SSL For Free | Uses Let’s Encrypt Certificates
For modern browsers they generate a private key in your browser using the Web Cryptography API and the private key is never transmitted. The private key also gets deleted off your browser after the certificate is generated. If your browser does not support the Web Cryptography API then the keys will be generated on the server using the latest version of OpenSSL and outputted over SSL and never stored.
- 100% Free Forever – Never pay for SSL again. Thanks to Letsencrypt the first non-profit CA.
- Widely Trusted – Our free SSL certificates are trusted in 99.9% of all major browsers.
- Enjoy SSL Benefits – Protect user data & gain trust, Improve Search Engine Ranking and Prevent forms of website hacking
↓ 04 – Certbot | Uses Let’s Encrypt Certificates
Certbot is an easy-to-use automatic client that fetches and deploys SSL/TLS certificates for your web server. Certbot was developed by EFF and others as a client for Let’s Encrypt and was previously known as “the official Let’s Encrypt client” or “the Let’s Encrypt Python client.” Certbot will also work with any other CAs that support the ACME protocol.
While there are many other clients that implement the ACME protocol to fetch certificates, Certbot is the most extensive client and can automatically configure your web server to start serving over HTTPS immediately. For Apache, it can also optionally automate security tasks such as tuning cipher suites and enabling important security features such as HTTP → HTTPS redirects, OCSP stapling, HSTS, and upgrade-insecure-requests.
↓ 05 – WoSign’s KuaiSSL
Completely free, fully functional as WoSign DV SSL Certificates. WoSign Free SSL Certificates gives you the perfect opportunity to secure your website at ZERO code. The Free SSL Certificate is a fully functional Domain name validation SSL certificate that is issued by the root named “WoSign CA Free SSL Certificate”. Google, Mozilla and Apple have announced that WoSign is to be considered insecure due to many cases of misissuance and deception as well as backdating of SSL certificates in an attempt to circumvent mandatory guidelines.
- Class 1 DV SSL Certificate
- Root key size 4096bit – 2048bit
- Encryption 40-bit to 256-bit encryption enabled
↓ 06 – CAcert
CAcert.org is a community-driven Certificate Authority that issues certificates to the public at large for free. CAcert’s goal is to promote awareness and education on computer security through the use of encryption, specifically by providing cryptographic certificates.
These certificates can be used to digitally sign and encrypt email, authenticate and authorize users connecting to websites and secure data transmission over the internet. Any application that supports the Secure Socket Layer Protocol (SSL or TLS) can make use of certificates signed by CAcert, as can any application that uses X.509 certificates, e.g. for encryption or code signing and document signatures.
↓ 07 – Free SSL Space | By Sectigo SSL
They provide 90 days Sectigo SSL certificates absolutely free of charge. Secure your website and increase consumer trust through a wide selection of industry-leading SSL certificates to fit the need of any sized business or use case. About their SSL certificate:
- Express 5 min issuance
- www and non-www
- Free static SiteSeal
- Free unlimited server licensing
- Free unlimited reissues
- IDN support
- 10,000$ warranty by GoGetSSL
- 99.6% support of all devices (more than Let’s Encrypt!)
↓ 08 – StartSSL Free [ Discontinued ]
StartCom offers the free (for personal use) Class 1 X.509 SSL certificate “StartSSL Free”, which works for webservers (SSL/TLS) as well as for E-mail encryption (S/MIME). StartCom also offers Class 2 and 3 certificates as well as Extended Validation Certificates, where a comprehensive validation (with costs) is mandatory. Currently, in case of requesting SSL certificates only, StartCom is offering the validation for free. For other types of certificate, StartCom will still charge for the validation.
- UNLIMITED – Class 1 DV SSL Certificates (up to 10 domains per Certificate)
- UNLIMITED – Class 1 Email Validation (S/MIME Certificate)
- All certificates are valid for 3 years