Sometimes you need to perform large query but the server has some limitation on processing power, this is where these free SQL editors come in handy. It allows you to perform the necessary query and changes locally on your computer and then upload the final file.
Alternative 2020 Article ➤ 6 Tools To Successfully Repair And Recover Corrupt SQL Database
Alternatively, these XAMPP like PHP development environment software also allows you to modify and edit SQL, only with extra steps when it comes to syncing it. RazorSQL is a popular SQL editor, however, it is not free. Below is the complete list of open source free SQL editor.
↓ 01 – Beekeeper Studio | Windows | Linux | macOS
Beekeeper Studio is an open source SQL Editor and database manager, you can use Beekeeper Studio to query and manage your relational databases, like MySQL, Postgres, SQLite, and SQL Server. Their mission is to improve technology accessibility by providing a free and open SQL editor and database manager that is full-featured and easy to use.
- Connect with Confidence – Alongside normal connections you can encrypt your connection with SSL, or tunnel through SSH. Save a connection password and Beekeeper Studio will make sure to encrypt it to keep it safe.
- SQL Auto Completion – Our built-in editor provides syntax highlighting and auto-complete suggestions for your tables so you can work quickly and easily.
- View Table Data – Tables get their own tabs too! Use our table view to sort and filter results by column.
↓ 02 – HeidiSQL | Windows
HeidiSQL is free software, and has the aim to be easy to learn. “Heidi” lets you see and edit data and structures from computers running one of the database systems MariaDB, MySQL, Microsoft SQL or PostgreSQL. Invented in 2002 by Ansgar, with a development peak between 2009 and 2013, HeidiSQL belongs to the most popular tools for MariaDB and MySQL worldwide.
- Connect to servers via commandline
- Connect via SSH tunnel, or pass SSL settings
- Export table rows as CSV, HTML, XML, SQL, LaTeX, Wiki Markup and PHP Array
- Browse and edit table-data using a comfortable grid
- Bulk edit tables (move to db, change engine, collation etc.)
- Batch-insert ascii or binary files into tables
- Write queries with customizable syntax-highlighting and code-completion
- Pretty reformat disordered SQL
- Monitor and kill client-processes
- Find specific text in all tables of all databases of one server
- Optimize and repair tables in a batch manner
↓ 03 – SQuirreL SQL | Windows | macOS | Linux
SQuirreL SQL Client is a graphical Java program that will allow you to view the structure of a JDBC compliant database, browse the data in tables, issue SQL commands etc. In theory SQuirreL should work with any DBMS that has a JDBC 2.0 driver. However not all drivers/DBMS’s are fully complient with the JDBC 2.0 specification. People have reported SQuirreL working with the following.
- Axion Java RDBMS.
- Daffodil (One$DB)
- Apache Derby (formerly Cloudscape) see Using SQuirreL SQL with Derby written by Susan Cline.
- Fujitsu Siemens SESAM/SQL-Server with the SESAM/SQL JDBC driver.
- Firebird with the JayBird JCA/JDBC Driver.
- Hypersonic SQL.
- IBM DB2 for Linux, OS/400 and Windows.
- CA Ingres 2.6 SP2 with EDBC driver v1.8 (probably works with Caribou Lake driver too).
- Interbase with the Interclient JDBC driver.
- Mckoi SQL.
- Microsoft Access with the JDBC/ODBC bridge.
- Microsoft SQL Server with the Microsoft, WebLogic and jTDS JDBC drivers.
- Mimer SQL
- MySQL with the MM MySQL JDBC driver.
- Netezza Data Warehouse with 4.0.4P2 Driver
- Oracle 8i, 9i and 10g with the Oracle thin and OCI drivers.
- PostgreSQL 7.1.3 and higher.
- Progress OpenEdge 10.1x.
- Sybase with the JConnect JDBC driver. There are currently some issues with Sybase JConnect 5.5 and SQuirreL 1.1 although JConnect 4.5 seems to work.
- Teradata Warehouse
- ThinkSQL RDBMS.
- Vertica Analytic Database
↓ 04 – MySQL Workbench | Windows | macOS | Linux
MySQL Workbench is a unified visual tool for database architects, developers, and DBAs. MySQL Workbench provides data modeling, SQL development, and comprehensive administration tools for server configuration, user administration, backup, and much more. MySQL Workbench is available on Windows, Linux and Mac OS X.
MySQL Workbench now provides a complete, easy to use solution for migrating Microsoft SQL Server, Microsoft Access, Sybase ASE, PostreSQL, and other RDBMS tables, objects and data to MySQL. Developers and DBAs can quickly and easily convert existing applications to run on MySQL both on Windows and other platforms. Migration also supports migrating from earlier versions of MySQL to the latest releases.
↓ 05 – Execute Query | Windows | Linux
Execute Query is an operating system independent database utility written entirely in Java. Using the flexibility provided by Java Database Connectivity (JDBC), Execute Query provides a simple way to interact with almost any database from simple queries to table creation and import/export of an entire schema’s data.
The Query Editor allows for the execution of any SQL statement(s) that the database and driver may accept from creating tables to basic SELECT statements and table updates. The results of any executed statement is displayed in the results pane including database specific messages and error codes.
- Generate ERD: Allows for the creation of a database ERD either from scratch or from an existing schema. The diagram may be manipulated and saved in multiple image formats.
- Compare Data Types: Compares data types across different database connections providing useful mapping when porting a schema across different database types.
- Create Table: Allows for the creation of database tables via a graphical interface.
- Create Index: Allows for the creation of an index on a table via a graphical interface.
- Generate Scripts: This feature allows you to generate complete CREATE TABLE scripts for the connected schema including all table constraints.
- Import/Export Data: Allows for the import and export of data to and from delimited files.
- Import/Export XML Data: Allows for the import and export of data from one or multiple tables to and from XML files. The table and column names provide the XML tags.
↓ 06 – Oracle SQL Developer | Windows | macOS | Linux
Oracle SQL Developer is a free, integrated development environment that simplifies the development and management of Oracle Database in both traditional and Cloud deployments. SQL Developer offers complete end-to-end development of your PL/SQL applications, a worksheet for running queries and scripts, a DBA console for managing the database, a reports interface, a complete data modeling solution, and a migration platform for moving your 3rd party databases to Oracle.
↓ 07 – dbForge Studio Express | Windows
dbForge Studio for MySQL is a universal GUI for managing, developing and administrating MySQL and MariaDB databases. The tool allows you to create and execute queries, develop and debug routines, and automate database object management in the convenient environment.
- SQL editor with syntax highlighting, bookmarks, and text search
- Visual Query Builder with support of SELECT statement
- Execution of scripts, selected SQL fragments, and statements
- Executed Queries History
- Context-sensitive code completion
- Quick information about schema objects
- Parameter information for stored routines